Talk

Advanced search

Sewing curtains - liner question

(5 Posts)
hapagirl Wed 09-Dec-15 09:41:07

Hi ladies,

My DDs have odd shaped / sized windows and having recoiled at the price of made to measure, I'm making curtains for them. They have drafty Victorian windows so I really want to make curtains that keep the warm in and drafts out. I've made two sets already, one with Denhelm's premium thermal liner and one with Denhelm's interliner attached to a thermal liner, neither of which are blackout (I found out after I hung them duh!). So for number 3 DD, I was going to try Denhelm's premium thermal liner with a black out liner. Has anyone tried using such liners together? Does it make it bulky? Or can anyone recommend a good liner that does both jobs well? BTW, its not that I have a loyalty to Denhelm as such, its just that they are close by and usually have things in stock.

Thanks for any help!

Hapa

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 09-Dec-15 15:15:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lavendersun Wed 09-Dec-15 21:47:24

I bought a roll of bump two houses ago - because I make roman blinds it just keeps going on and on.

You can sandwich it between anything, in DD's room she has linen with bump and then blackout lining (which is fairly thick in itself).

If I used bump in curtains I would stab stitch it to the lining before attaching the lining to the curtains if that makes sense, so that the linings are married together down the length but not to the curtain. Whether that is 'proper' or not I don't know but that is what I would do. I stab stitch my blinds but they are rigid and fold so not quite the same.

Depends how cold your windows are I suppose, I have never used an all in one interlining/lining but bump is so thick that I can't imagine that an all in one would be as insulating.

KatyN Thu 10-Dec-15 23:13:48

I asked about using a thermal middle between fabric and a black out lining and the lady in the shop said that the black out lining was plastic enough that it shouldn't need thermal lining too!!
I would just ensure the curtains are wide and long enough to stop any draughts.
K

Conserve Sat 12-Dec-15 18:54:28

I am a curtain maker. I regularly make curtains with interlining (bump or other) and lining (thermal/blackout/normal).
When I work with 3 layers they are hand sewn all together along the long edges/the drops. after having machine sewn their hems. To cut down on bulk do a single fold to interlining and blackout hems.

They all get securely sewn together at the tops when doing the heading tape.
For big old windows and cold winters you cant have too thick.

I also recommend putting the woollen blankets up inside the middles of curtains and pin or tack in place to the top tape just for the duration of the winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now