Talk

Advanced search

Anyone fancy helping choose colours for a baby blanket?

(21 Posts)
Porcupinepantaloons Mon 07-Dec-15 12:34:40

My SIL is expecting their first DC next year and I would love to make them a crochet blanket for the baby.
They aren't going to find out the sex so it'll have to be neutral.

I'm thinking white/ cream, grey and yellow. But I feel like it needs another colour... Maybe turquoise, or something? confused

It'll probably be some form of ripple stripe blanket as that's what I fancy making next and I'll probably go back to my tried and tested stylecraft special dk as there are so many colours and it wears well too!

PurpleDaisies Mon 07-Dec-15 12:38:23

That turquoise is lovely. Maybe a heather purple might work too.

Attic24 fan by any chance?

Porcupinepantaloons Mon 07-Dec-15 13:02:19

Ha ha! I do like a bit of attic24 although I'm thinking more of a granny ripple/ solid ripple pattern like this one by crochet objet
here

josephjames330 Mon 07-Dec-15 14:23:27

There are a few things to think about when choosing colors for a baby.

How Does Color Impact The Brain?

What role does color play in the brain's development? That's a really good question. Thanks to Kitty Lascurain, Nurseries and Kids' Room Expert for About.com, we may have an answer. In her article, "Color Psychology: How Colors Affects Kids," Ms. Lascurain provides a succinct, easy-to-understand overview of the effects that some scientists believe to be associated with various colors. Below, we summarize the positive points covered by Ms. Lascurain. Enjoy!
Red
Red is said to excite and energize, increasing the heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration. Some say that red also stimulates the adrenal glands and neurons in the brain.
Blue
Blue is believed to have a calming effect, and to reduce heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration. Blue is also believed to counteract feelings of aggression and anxiety, which could benefit children who struggle with self-control.
Yellow
Yellow is typically associated with feelings of optimism, joy, and motivation. Pale yellows are believed to promote concentration while brighter hues are believed to stimulate. Some say that looking at the color yellow causes the body to release serotonin, a chemical that is essential to creating a happy mood.
Orange
Orange is said to inspire interpersonal communications and put people at ease.
Green
The symbolism around this color has everything to do with life, growth, health, and healing. Green is a cool color, and like blue, is believed to have a calming effect. According to one study, the placement of transparent green overlays on text increased reading speed and comprehension.
Pink
The color pink's initial effect is said to be calming. According to Dr. Alexander Schauss, CEO at AIBMR Life Sciences, "Even if a person tries to be angry or aggressive in the presence of pink, he can't. The heart muscles can't race fast enough. It's a tranquilizing color…" A long time favorite of mothers and girls, it is also believed to evoke empathy.
As you can see, colors can have a wide range of impacts on children. Use these facts to inform your interactions with your kids.

PurpleDaisies Mon 07-Dec-15 15:34:31

With the greatest of respect, joseph that's a complete loads of bollocks.

Op choose whichever colours you like best. That chevron pattern is just gorgeous.

Porcupinepantaloons Mon 07-Dec-15 18:25:39

Honestly, I just wanted to make a nice blanket!

Clearly I've not been thinking about this in enough detail! 😬 πŸ˜‚

purple thanks! πŸ˜„ I love that pattern too. I'm thinking purple might be a bit too girly rather than neutral... It would be lovely though!

LizKeen Mon 07-Dec-15 19:25:31

Ooh I love that blanket.

I don't know how to crochet, but I am feeling the itch to learn now. I would love to be able to make lovely blankets.

LizKeen Mon 07-Dec-15 19:27:09

Colour wise, the aqua colour in the blanket link is really nice.

manamanah Mon 07-Dec-15 19:31:46

I love burnt orange with those colours, especially with grey. Feels cosier than turquoise to me.

PolterGoose Mon 07-Dec-15 19:33:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Mon 07-Dec-15 19:35:57

LumelaMme Mon 07-Dec-15 19:57:05

Nah, I preferred the grey-turquoise/green/purple combo.

Attic24 has a fab selection of neutral colours in her Coast ripple blanket: that might provide inspiration.

Porcupinepantaloons Mon 07-Dec-15 20:16:02

polter I've made ds a blanket in grey orange and turquoise so want something different.

lumela - I made a ripple blanket years ago with a load of blues and Browns - much like the coast ripple pack. I did it before attic24 though! grin

PolterGoose Mon 07-Dec-15 20:45:18

Porcupinepantaloons Mon 07-Dec-15 21:26:07

Ha ha! It's quite good fun, but can turn out to be quite expensive if you make something too nice! πŸ˜‚

I'm quite liking this combo

PolterGoose Mon 07-Dec-15 21:32:29

mimiasovitch Wed 09-Dec-15 08:25:08

Last blanket I crocheted was white and grey in stripes, with yellow edging. Colour scheme pinched from a Mamas and papas blanket, but much nicer as it was in wool and far cuddlier.

mimiasovitch Wed 09-Dec-15 08:36:24

Before that I did a rainbow striped one. I borrowed the idea from here, but did a crochet stripe instead, as whilst I can knit, I get bored easily with large expanses of knit and the child in question would end up receiving it as a going to uni gift instead!

PolterGoose Thu 10-Dec-15 17:34:10

mimiasovitch Thu 10-Dec-15 19:49:33

Awesome. I did this pattern, which I've used before. Really easy and looks fabulous.

Porcupinepantaloons Thu 10-Dec-15 20:26:03

Those rainbow colours are lovely!

I might have to pinch a mamas and papas colour scheme too mimi πŸ˜„

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now