Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else trying to knit a stocking?!

(8 Posts)
Stasie Sun 06-Dec-15 17:51:30

I'm struggling a bit, and hoping it is going to work out, but not entirely sure it will look even reasonable let alone impressive!

I'm cobbling together some Scandinavian motifs and Fairisle type designs and basically it's going to be in three pieces (front, back and sole) as I tried to figure out using a circular needle and totally failed!

I wish I could knit properly. I haven't made anything in YEARS.

Is anyone else doing this, or have you done it before, and do you have any pictures to encourage me? santagrin

Dutchoma Mon 07-Dec-15 07:39:32

I've not tried a Christmas stocking but I know that it is perfectly possible to knit socks 'on the flat' and sew them together when finished. So I think that can be done with a Christmas stocking too. Maybe do a Fair Isle border and then go to plain knitting? Remember to use a needle at least half a size up for the plain knitting as Fair Isle tends to come up tighter than plain.

Stasie Mon 07-Dec-15 16:03:26

Oh thank you very much indeed! I'm sorry, been out all day and not checked back.

Yes we have another stocking I bought and it's all flat and sewn together and actually looks pretty OK. Someone on another thread has also directed me to the Fish lips heel so I might try that with my next one, I think it is too late for this one!!

Good idea about the needle size. I didn't think of that, being an eejit, and therefore have a bunchy bit (my fault for not adjusting as I went along - I redid a bit of it to try and loosen it) and a non bunchy bit. But I think it will be Ok.

I'll just tell ds that it's artisan fgrin

MiaowTheCat Wed 09-Dec-15 07:34:06

I crocheted two last year - cheated a bit for speed - chunky yarn, plain coloured then did the detail as applique afterwards (a triangle with random buttons sewed on works well for a tree)

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 09-Dec-15 08:40:51

I've made 3 on double pointed needles (thankfully no new babies this year) but I just did stripes to make it easier. Better something simple well executed than a nightmare.

Circular knitting I find easy, its just never turning the work over.

TheFurryMenace Wed 16-Dec-15 22:21:45

OP, have a look at Millamia on ravelry, they have a free flat knit Christmas stocking pattern to download. You can choose stripes, cable or,one with a motif.

I am doing a stocking by Staci Perry of VeryPink knits. It is in the round but has excellent video tutorial support. I have knit in the round before but have never knitted a sock. Look at her website, she has very helpful videos for knitting techniques including circular needles.

Good,luck!

glueandstick Thu 17-Dec-15 04:39:18

There is a lovely free pattern for a flat knitted stocking with a motif on the Milla Mia website. It's dead easy and I have made it using a bigger needle size and chunky wool to make a bigger stocking.

glueandstick Thu 17-Dec-15 18:01:16

Didn't see the message above! Apologies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now