Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose a sewing machine please.

(6 Posts)
nettie Sat 05-Dec-15 12:16:50

I have a fantastic Bernina 1030 that I have had since the dark ages, it does everything I need it to do except a one step buttonhole. I love it, have no intention of getting rid of it, but really want to be able to make buttonholes easier.

So, can you recommend a machine that is good for buttonholes and cheap(ish!). Compact would be good as well, storage is an issue, my lovely sewing/craft room only exists in head (until the DSs move out grin).

lavendersun Sat 05-Dec-15 19:55:05

I would go for a vintage machine with a buttonholer - a 221K is very cute (£150 ish) and does better button holes than my Bernina, which is no reflection on my Bernina at all.

But then I love old machines, you may not, you could leave it set up for buttonholes.

Like this

www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/bigatts.html#buttonholers

nettie Sun 06-Dec-15 19:39:44

Thanks, would like a vintage machine, but think a modern one would better in the circumstances as it will be easier to get up and down stairs, vintage machine tend be on the hefty side don't they?

lavendersun Sun 06-Dec-15 21:58:26

A featherweight is tiny and about 3 kg nettie. But it doesn't sound like you want an old one. I have no idea about new ones, my newest one is a Bernina 1008, so an old fashioned one but only 2 years old.

I have never had a 1 step!

patchworkchick Tue 08-Dec-15 09:38:13

the Janome DC3050 has 3 great 1 step buttong holes and the Janome Decor Excel 30 has 6. Both very good machines, if you just want a basic buttong hole the Janome 5024 is brilliant - still has an exterior metal frame too.

SunnyL Tue 08-Dec-15 09:48:59

I have a brother DS-140 and i think its brilliant. its got 5 different button hole types plus a slew of other stitches. It never lets me down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now