Talk

Advanced search

Knitters - have you/would you 'kill' acrylic afghan squares?

(11 Posts)
Tinklewinkle Thu 03-Dec-15 12:26:42

I've been googling and see some knitters suggest killing acrylic knitting.

I'm making a blanket as a Christmas present and it's big (80 squares) so haven't a hope of re-knitting and finishing it in time if I cock it up

Are there any benefits? Pros/cons, etc?

I can't decide!

FredaMayor Thu 03-Dec-15 13:39:45

I think a lot of it would depend on the aftercare, would the lucky recipient be able to block and steam the blanket back into its original condition? I think a man or anyone who is busy may not bother. I have found that once you press acrylic it stays flattened forever so you may want to try steaming without pressing flat, depending of course on the effect you want.

Tinklewinkle Thu 03-Dec-15 13:55:19

Thank you!

It's for my Mum. Don't think she'd thank me f she had to fart about wth it too much

I've steam blocked ithe squares already, as from what I understood, it's supposed to be permanent and won't need to be blocked every time it's washed.

Helenluvsrob Thu 03-Dec-15 13:58:12

Tinkle you are right, steam blocking acrylic is " killing" them and they wool stay like that for ever.It's only wool/alpaca etc you have to block each time. Cotton/linen never seems to block for me but gets bigger and bigger, maybe that just me!

Tinklewinkle Thu 03-Dec-15 14:03:23

I thought killing it was something else. Very confused now grin

killing acrylic knitting

PurpleFrog Thu 03-Dec-15 14:57:16

Having looked at your link I don't see why you would want to do that for a blanket. Don't you want a blanket to be as thick and springy as possible with air spaces between the stitches to keep you warm?

Tinklewinkle Thu 03-Dec-15 16:08:48

From what I've been reading, it makes the acrylic feel really lovely and soft.

I've got some fleece and was planning on backing it with that so it will be warm and snuggly

Callmecordelia Fri 04-Dec-15 07:04:04

I wouldn't kill acrylic for a blanket. Killing is different to light steaming, which is probably permanent, but it's a halfway house.

For me, Acrylic is easy care anyway - it only needs a wash with fabric softener really to feel very soft and snuggly, and I would do that after joining.

Killing takes the body out of the yarn. It isn't appropriate for everything. Lace - yes, often. Summer clothes you want to be drapey - yes. Lots of other things, including blankets imho - no.

You have lightly steam blocked the squares - if you're happy with it, leave it now.

SoupDragon Fri 04-Dec-15 18:51:14

I would have thought it would do the exact opposite of making it lovely and soft.

PurpleFrog Fri 04-Dec-15 22:39:40

I think it would make it flat and floppy. What are your squares like? If they are stocking stitch it would keep them flat, but I think any texture would be lost. Have you got any extra yarn? If so, do a few test squares, sew them together and try it! (And let us know!)

Tinklewinkle Sat 05-Dec-15 08:09:09

Thanks!

The squares are 50/50 splt of stocking stitch and cable.

I've discovered I miss-counted and have an extra square so I've killed it as a test, and it actually feels lovely. It's smooth and silky but it is flat and floppy.

Some of the squares feel a bit scratchy still, so I'm going to wash it in fabric conditioner once I've finished sewing it together and see what it's like then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now