Talk

Advanced search

Paper cutting

(9 Posts)

Over recent months I have been marveling at the beautiful paper-cut works of art that I have seen on Pinterest and FB, and I am interested in having a go myself.

I could ask dh for some kit, for Christmas - but I don't know what the basics are, that I'd need to get started, so I am hoping that there are MNers who do this craft, and could recommend me a few basics, to get me going, and maybe a book or two as well.

Thanks in advance. thanks

Tate15 Wed 02-Dec-15 13:05:53

Rob Ryan books are fab.

Have you got a HobbyCraft store near you?

We have got a Hobbycraft near us, but dh will not be keen to venture anywhere near any shops between now and Christmas, so ordering online would be easier.

I was thinking - a cutting mat, some basic scalpels/knives (maybe a starter set) and a book - I will look at the Rob Ryan ones on Amazon - thanks.

Plexie Fri 04-Dec-15 13:24:09

I don't do 'paper cutting' but have cut a lot of paper for bookbinding and other crafts.

If you want a 'proper' scalpel look for Swann Morton (handle no. 3 and 10A blades). They're widely used by artists, designers etc and can be bought in lots of art supplies shops, eg www.londongraphics.co.uk/products/Graphic-Supplies/Adhesives-Cutting/Scalpel-Blades-Handles/list/perpage/20/page/1

They have a dizzying array of blades
www.jacksonsart.com/search.php?input_search=swann+morton&stock=0&x=0&y=0
but 10A is the standard one for cutting paper and that needs a no. 3 handle.

Alternatively there's Jakar which is more 'packaged' but some have a safety cap and container for the blades, eg www.jacksonsart.com/Brands-A-Z_All_Brands-Jakar-Jakar_Knives_&_Blades/c2200_1044_782_783/p12084/Fixed_Blade_Precision_Craft_Knife_A7360/product_info.html

Don't bother with a swivel blade - I have one and still haven't worked out what it's supposed to be used for!

Cutting mat: a cheapish one will do. Size is more important - they come in 'A' sizes (A4, A3 etc). Usually getting the largest you can afford/have room for is best but really it depends on what size paper you'll be cutting. Don't bother with A5 as that will be too small.

www.londongraphics.co.uk/products/Graphic-Supplies/Adhesives-Cutting/Cutting-Mats/list/perpage/20/page/1

This webpage offers some good advice on supplies: crafts.tutsplus.com/tutorials/papercutting-fundamentals-essential-tools-techniques--craft-10519

That page also suggests a metal ruler (I assumed all paper cutting was done freehand but obviously not!). It needs to be metal because the blade can cut into plastic and wood. I have a Linex which I REALLY recommend as it has a safety channel for your fingers and has a smooth high side on the cutting edge so it's easy to line up your blade for an accurate cut. I have a 30cm one but this entry on Amazon for the 50cm ruler shows pictures of how it differs from a plain metal ruler:

www.amazon.co.uk/Linex-Anti-slip-Aluminium-Bevelled-LXE2950M/dp/B001234370

The 30cm ruler is here: www.amazon.co.uk/Linex-Anti-slip-Aluminium-Bevelled-LXE2930M/dp/B0012387UO/ref=pd_sim_229_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=315gt9-VQ3L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0W4KS26KXMJS7ZKP884E

Petallic Fri 04-Dec-15 13:26:51

If you want to cut very intricate things then you might find a glass or ceramic cutting surface easier. I use a marble cheese board cheapy from tkmaxx does the job well enough.

Thank you for all that information, Plexie and Petallic!

I used to be a Theatre nurse, so Swann Morton blades were a part of my daily life - I will probably go for those just for the nostalgia! I even visited the factory, as part of my Operating department nursing course!

I am hoping for some amazon vouchers for Christmas, so I will treat myself in the New Year, and have a go at this beautiful craft.

NuttyCluster Fri 04-Dec-15 13:38:50

I've dabbled a bit with paper cutting, the only thing I'd add to petalics list would be a craft knife similar to this , the swan mortons are good but this one is much more comfortable to use, it's slightly weighted so much more like using a pen.

NuttyCluster Fri 04-Dec-15 13:39:40

Sorry I meant plexies list blush

NuttyCluster Fri 04-Dec-15 13:40:55

Ahh theatre nurse! You'll be fine then, ignore my post! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now