Talk

Advanced search

Anyone want t keep me company - I'm making a leotard

(18 Posts)
Katymac Sat 28-Nov-15 18:09:47

It's cut out & I am about to start sewing

I get lonely when I sew wink & I also get stuck.....

Katymac Sat 28-Nov-15 19:01:38

The knicker elastic is always too long

Then I have to guess how long it needs to be & then I get it wrong

yeOldeTrout Sat 28-Nov-15 19:07:06

omg, not lycra, seriously, LYCRA? It's a total bitch to sew with, isn't it?

Katymac Sat 28-Nov-15 19:13:24

No - it's not bad at all - a ballpoint needle & a zig-zag stitch

But DD is 100 miles away & i can't measure her - poop

the top is going well - I even added a shelf (this is an important leotard 'extra' - an integral bra!!)

Katymac Sat 28-Nov-15 19:15:24

I'm doing the pink one without the skirt

But in black with a ink leopard print neck

NerrSnerr Sat 28-Nov-15 19:27:01

I'm really impressed. I have recently started sewing as I have a toddler and I want to be able to make costumes and stuff!

yeOldeTrout Sat 28-Nov-15 19:39:29

you are braver than me

Katymac Sat 28-Nov-15 19:55:05

It's fine - I made a few bits before

The elastic should be 80% of the hole so about 16 inches not 20 like the pattern says

SettlinginNicely Sat 28-Nov-15 19:57:01

Looks really good!

I hate sewing with "stretchy" fabrics. Give me wovens any day! You've made some very professional looking costumes there.

Katymac Sat 28-Nov-15 19:58:34

Oops the white I didn't make - I bought a dress removed the top added a bought leotard and embellished it- sorry

SettlinginNicely Sat 28-Nov-15 20:50:13

You still get credit for "repurposing" the dress!

PolterGoose Sat 28-Nov-15 21:05:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katymac Sat 28-Nov-15 21:08:27

Stalled to watch Dr Who!!

Back to leg holes

Katymac Sat 28-Nov-15 21:57:59

Given up - I'm off to bed

I'll start again tomorrow

fortifiedwithtea Mon 30-Nov-15 11:16:23

OMG! Katy I've got that pattern. I made the blue one for DD2. It was the first skating dress I ever made her. I had to alter the pattern a lot. DD2 is a bit long in the body but I had to lengthen the body a lot. plus because there is a centre back seam, the pattern allows for some shaping over the bum. Great for girls with big bottoms but DD2 is small and again I had to take the pattern in. I've since found DD2 is more of a Jalie shape than a Kwik Sew shape.

The pink view (V neck) is made with non-stretch fabric. If you read the pattern review website, people have complained its a pig to get right and skaters say its not comfortable to wear because of the no stretch neck line.

If you ever decide to make the blue halter neck style, don't cover the neck elastic the way the pattern describes - it doesn't look professional. I have since been on an over locking course and there is a much neater way of doing it.

Funny you say you like company to sew with. I am just the same. DH was in Germany last week and I asked my DM to stay for sewing company smile

How far have you got with the leotard now?

Katymac Mon 30-Nov-15 11:28:34

So far I've given up

I thought the leg elastic too long so I shortened it & it cut DD in two and now I have run out of elastic sad

So I'm having another think about it - I always intended to do the V in lycra with maybe the front bit a bit stuffer but have stretchy shoulders - possibly without the cross just a straight strap

The other isn't a style DD would wear as it's for Jazz/Ballet

I spent the day yesterday with DD at a photo shoot

fortifiedwithtea Mon 30-Nov-15 12:41:33

The pattern is a really long 'V' that then crosses over the back doesn't it.

Have you any odd lycra spare to play with before cutting into your good fabric? I'd be inclined to agree with you and experiment. Cut out in lycra and stabilize the front section with an interfacing behind the part that will be the front facing. I'd suggest using a sew in interfacing as you can not use fusible. Using an iron hot enough to bond will melt your lycra.

Lovely pictures btw smile

Katymac Mon 30-Nov-15 18:55:16

Thanks - I think she'd be happier with straight straps to cover her bra

I hadn't thought of the heat problem - thanks for the heads up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now