Talk

Advanced search

First quilt - wadding help!

(7 Posts)
MinesAPintOfTea Fri 27-Nov-15 21:43:21

I decided to make myself a quilt for snuggling under when I have insomnia. With the help of a library book I've managed to piece together the top, but I didn't want to commit to wadding/backing until I got that far. Wadding choices are overwhelming! I want something that ideally I can machine quilt, and will feel fairly snuggly.

How do I work out what will feel like this?

yeOldeTrout Fri 27-Nov-15 21:49:47

I like bamboo-cotton mix. A good sewing / quilting shop can advise on what you get with each type of wadding.

flightywoman Sat 28-Nov-15 16:39:53

I've just made my first quilt and used a 50:50 cotton and bamboo mix, it's light, easy to sew as it isn't too thick, is washable, flexible and warm.

I'd really recommend it.

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 28-Nov-15 17:21:27

Thank you both. I;ll investigate cotton/bamboo mixes then.

I don't think I'm going to get to a sewing shop until 2016: most of my free time before then is after DS goes to bed in the evening (work 4 days, weekend plans and my day off is halfday closing in this town, so the sewing shops etc don't open at all).

cereslass Sat 19-Dec-15 22:49:35

im trying to fi nish of my 1st ever quilt how do i put wadding and backing on

temporarilyjerry Sun 20-Dec-15 18:14:27

You need to make a quilt sandwich.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwrsQUzJYQI

Good luck.

SettlinginNicely Mon 21-Dec-15 20:30:19

I've had good luck with all cotton. Though the bamboo/cotton mix sounds good too.

I have been very unhappy with polyester wadding. I won't use it again. I have tried different versions and they just don't "drape" properly. All that work to make the quilt. It's not worth skimping on the wadding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now