Talk

Advanced search

Sewing patterns for novices, where is the best place in the NW to buy them?

(9 Posts)
ThursFriHappy Sun 22-Nov-15 21:02:55

Hi, only until about 3 weeks ago, I didn't know how to use a sewing machine.

Since then, a friend was showing me some stuff she has sewn, cushion covers and stuff, and offered to show me how to use her machine.
I was a little hesitant at first, thinking I'd sew my fingers together, but with her (enormous amount of) patience, I ran up a cushion cover and put a zip in it. Really pleased, and think I have caught the bug!!

Sooooo, yes you've guessed it. I am buying myself a sewing machine, a Janome, but I'm stuck on where to buy simple soft furnishing sewing patterns. maybe to sell, or stuff for around the house.

I live in the NW of England if that's of any help. Advice needed please smile.

WinterBabyof89 Sun 22-Nov-15 21:06:29

Minerva crafts (based in Darwen) has a warehouse shop that you could pop into if you're local, but they've got a good website too.

www.minervacrafts.com/shop/sewing/patterns&collections=Homeware

ThursFriHappy Sun 22-Nov-15 21:12:21

Ah, I'm about a couple of hours away from Darwen, thanks Winter.

Will check the website too.

I plan to buy the sewing machine in the January sales, (no spare money at the mo ) and I need to do some homework first with patterns. Can't wait.

KatyN Thu 26-Nov-15 21:59:51

Have you had a look at your library for books that are called 'your lovely sewn home' or some such.. They tend to have a lot of simple sewing patterns in.

ThursFriHappy Fri 27-Nov-15 16:43:08

Thanks KatyN

I'll have a look in our library for those.

Taking the easy route first by making cushion covers and wash bags, then hopefully progress to quilt covers smile

freshoutofluck Fri 27-Nov-15 22:03:49

I like Alice and Ginny's book for home sewing projects, if your library has it?
www.aliceandginny.co.uk/page8.htm

ThursFriHappy Sat 28-Nov-15 17:00:29

Thanks Fresh smile

MinniesMate Mon 30-Nov-15 09:37:46

I would look for free patterns online first.

There's a site called Sew4home, full of good patterns. The site is I think run by Janome and has lots of tutorials as well.

frenchfancy Fri 04-Dec-15 08:47:22

Look at pinterest for free easy patterns. There is a site called so Sew easy which is good for beginners, they do clothes but also things like bags and pouches which are good for beginners.

Caftsy has some good online tutorials, but they are a bit pricy. you tube has loads of tutorials for beginners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now