Talk

Advanced search

Wool weight USA/UK conversion

(8 Posts)
KurriKurri Sun 22-Nov-15 18:37:49

I want to make something from an American pattern online - it says to use '2 ply of worsted weight yarn'

Not sure what that means - I thought worsted weight was roughly similar to aran weight (not sure though) - does the pattern mean I should use two balls together to make a double strand?

PurpleFrog Mon 23-Nov-15 10:11:30

It sounds like it. How many stitches to the inch do they suggest? That will give you a better idea.

SoupDragon Mon 23-Nov-15 19:34:41

I would also think it meant 2 strands of worsted weight together.

KurriKurri Mon 23-Nov-15 20:47:33

Thank you both - I;ve just noticed the pattern says 2ply of worsted on US size 11needles or 1ply on US size 8 which to me would suggest an aran on size 8 (5mm) or a chunky on size 11 (6.5 mm) ?
there isn't a tension guide

this is the pattern but I think you could get away with a certain amount of inaccuracy.

SoupDragon Tue 24-Nov-15 11:04:13

I'm a Hooker, not a knitter, and I imagine you need two strands for a large crown for sturdiness. And to make it quicker to knit!

So yes, a chunky on the larger needles and Aran on the smaller ones - they look to be similar to the hook sizes I would expect. i would go slightly smaller on hook size to make it a firmer fabric if necessary, I don't know if this is the same for knitting.

PurpleFrog Tue 24-Nov-15 12:47:10

Looking closely at the instructions I don't think it matters. You don't cast on the stitches for the circumference of the crown, just for the width and then you make it as long as you need it to be. As Soupy said you probably want 2 strands to give it a bit of body and help the points to stand upright.

KurriKurri Tue 24-Nov-15 13:15:37

Thank you smile - I might even sew a fabric backing to the inside as well to help it stand upright.

ouryve Tue 24-Nov-15 13:18:01

Instead of 2 strands of worsted, you can use one strand of chunky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now