Talk

Advanced search

Perfect Pom Poms?

(8 Posts)
Roobix04 Thu 12-Nov-15 22:10:55

How do you create a good pom pom. Mine look scraggly or uneven and just not round. Any tips and tricks?

theconstantvacuumer Fri 13-Nov-15 11:20:48

I have a Clover Pom Pom maker which is quite good. The Pom Poms still need a bit of a trim and tidy though.

My difficulty is securing them properly to hats and scarves, they seem to fall off very easily.

SoupDragon Fri 13-Nov-15 14:03:27

I have Clover Pom pom makers too and yes, they still need a trim to neaten them up. I think there is an optimum amount of yarn to use - too much is not better!

Roobix04 Fri 13-Nov-15 14:06:11

Trial and error then I suppose. I'm making a pom pom Christmas wreath so I need quite a few.

soloula Fri 13-Nov-15 16:18:59

I don't have a fancy pom pom maker - I just do the old two circles cut out a cereal box and they always turn out well. I make sure that I keep passing the wool through until it's really tight and there's absolutely no room for any more. I find this helps keep the wool caught in tight so it doesn't move when I'm cutting it which could make it uneven. Then I use a really sharp pair of scissors to cut through the wool edges, keeping to the middle of the rim. Would a new/different pair of scissors help do you think? smile

You need to post some photos of the wreath when you're finished. I've seen some on Pinterest and was tempted to try my on but I'm in the middle of knitting some baubles and doubt I'll get the time to do both!

Roobix04 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:00:14

Yeah sharper scissors would probably help thanks! I'll definitely post pics if it turns out right. Knitting baubles? I'm intrigued.

soloula Fri 13-Nov-15 19:57:34

Ha ha I'm sure you've nothing to worry about and it'll look great!

These are the baubles I'm knitting. Don't trust my toddler with all my good (breakable) ones - she's like a magpie attracted to shiny things! I'm also going to change the colours on the penguin to make a robin as well smile
www.craftsy.com/pattern/knitting/other/christmas-balls-knit-ornament-patterns/117635?SSAID=217990&sasClickId=b1jz_be376

Roobix04 Fri 13-Nov-15 20:06:19

They look fab. Might be a good project for next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now