Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else start stuff but never finish it?

(15 Posts)
Tinklewinkle Wed 11-Nov-15 15:31:49

How do you keep it all under control? I'm driving myself nuts.

I ordered some stuff for some Christmas projects - some fabric to make the kids Father Christmas sacks, some Fimo to make some snowflake garlands, and some other bits and bobs and poor old DH has rolled his eyes at me again as this mountain of half finished craft stuff gets higher every year.

I'm lucky enough to have my own little craft shed - there was an old summer house in the garden when we mvoved in here which I commandeered so most of my stuff is out of sight, but it is getting a bit ridiculous.

I've found a half finished teepee that I started making DD2 when she was 4, she's now 10. A rag rug I've never finished, shit loads of granny squares for a blanket I got bored with, some squares I cut out to make a friend's DD a quilt for her christenening (this time last year) and got fed up with sewing together. All sorts of fabric I've bought to make something in particular and never done anything with. A horrible orange pine dresser that I was going to sand and varnish and use for storage is still horrible orange pine apart as I got bored with sanding after doing one of the shelves

Every now and then I think I must sit down and finish some of this stuff, but never do. I decided I would finish the quilt so friend's DD could have it for Christmas, but when push came to shove I ended up cutting out my DDs' FC sacks

Please tell me someone else is awash with half done stuff that they'll, in all honesty, probably never finish!

PolterGoose Wed 11-Nov-15 18:50:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 11-Nov-15 18:56:42

I have buying bans until I've finished or formally abandoned projects. IE sold on yarn or binned cut out fabric the child has outgrown

Tinklewinkle Wed 11-Nov-15 19:12:32

I think a buying ban may be in order here.

Trouble is, my local fabric shop sells off cuts and fat quarters from 50p-£1. I go in for half a metre of elastic and come out with a bag of fabric.

I blame Pinterest!

It feels like such a chore to go and finish all stuff, I've forced myself to sew the quilt bit together this afternoon, but I sat and grumbled about it the whole way through grin.

soloula Fri 13-Nov-15 16:41:34

A craft shed Tinklewinkle? I'm jealous! Although it'd be dangerous if I have more space to store stuff. I think the lack of storage space helps me keep things under control - especially when I covet so much stuff of Pinterest - that site should come with a warning!

As for unfinished projects...I'm feeling especially pleased today as DD2 (7 weeks old) is wearing a cardi I started knitting for her big sister when I was expecting her two years ago. I finally finished it two months ago. grin

lucysmam Fri 13-Nov-15 21:40:17

Woolly Hugs might be able to make use of the granny squares? Then they'd be put to good use & you'd have finished a project in a fashion...

MiaowTheCat Sun 15-Nov-15 10:23:36

I'm getting a craft shed in the next month or so - ner ner ner!

I try to have a policy that I do a couple of days on an unfinished project and then can have a couple of days on something new (I make stuff to sell so tend to have to jump the queue on things a fair bit) - but I've still got 3 unfinished blanket projects on the go at the moment!

My mum's worse though - she has projects she's just finishing now that she started when she was expecting me!

tiddlyipom Mon 16-Nov-15 21:53:04

I am really bad, at my last count I had three sweaters, two cardigans, two beaded shawls and a pair of socks to finish.
And I've just ordered enough wool to make another four sweaters in the Knit Picks sale.
I've got enough wool to last me for years.......and keep buying more.

PiratesLifeForMe Mon 16-Nov-15 22:01:32

Yup I blame Pintrest too. Ive bought 3 coloured spray cans and a sample size pot of teal paint from Wilkos over the last two weeks. 3 separate visits.

I have no idea what I want to paint and yet I remain very excited about the potential painting!

I still love Pintrest. Whatever I search, I usually wind up on tree houses smile

lavendersun Mon 16-Nov-15 22:43:54

I don't actually start stuff unless I have finished something else .... but I do buy stuff for the next 1000 projects which sit here in six 84L boxes awaiting my attention.

I have had a really busy year work wise, have hardly sewn anything nice for 5 or 6 months.

lavendersun Mon 16-Nov-15 22:44:04

which is sat here!

Tinklewinkle Sat 21-Nov-15 10:33:04

Thanks all! I've had internet trouble so apologies for not coming back before.

Internet trouble has meant I've had enforced Pinterest leave so have had a good bash and having a sort out.

Quilt for friend's DD is now finished. I've formally abandoned the teepee, and I've started to sew my granny squares together and thought I might give it to my mum for Christmas - she's always owning their house is quite draughty

I had wanted to completely sand and strip my orange pine dresser but decided that was never going to happen so have just painted it white. Looks OK actually, and is now out in my craft shed storing my ridiculous amount of fabric. Actually having it all put away and organised feels quite good. I can now see the wood from the trees

Still got tonnes of stuff and several half finished projects on the go but I've made a start

JoffreyBaratheon Sat 21-Nov-15 22:20:08

Sounds like you're doing brilliantly!

I got a massive pile of fabric at a car boot this year for a tenner - someone's late granny's stash which included £100 a metre worsted - really good linen, cotton and wool fabrics and nice colours.

I banninated myself from buying any more fabric til it was all used up. Which it now is!

Same with my wool I haven't bought any for about two years and now have a 30 year old stash down to one drawer, one basket ad a small rubbermaid bin!

It feels so great. Worth doing!

KatyN Thu 26-Nov-15 22:10:00

I post pictures of all my finished projects on line to remind myself that I have to finish things.. And last year I made a resolution to make one thing a month. That certainly helped reduce the pile of unfinished projects

And I'm ruthless at binning (passing on to someone else) stuff I'm never going to use!!
But then I don't have a craft shed!

PurpleFrog Fri 27-Nov-15 13:41:24

I have loads of UFOs. Sigh! I am gradually trying to reduce the piles and bags and get everything together in one place. I have recently finished two jumpers and donated them to the Woolly Hugs Refugee project. One was started for my dd when she was 3 or 4 - she will be 18 next birthday! The other was a lacy jumper for me in a pale pink yarn which I bought in a Closing Down sale in the 80s or early 90s. Why I ever thought I would wear it is beyond me! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now