Talk

Advanced search

Beginner knitting help

(9 Posts)
JugglingTheBalls Tue 10-Nov-15 14:46:15

I have recently taught myself to crochet using attic24 and bella coco and found them both really helpful.

I how want to knit. Has anyone any recommendations on where to look?

JugglingTheBalls Tue 10-Nov-15 15:05:14

Also do knitting pattern instructions vary ie uk terminology /us terminology Like crochet patterns ?

TheGreenNinja Tue 10-Nov-15 15:13:35

I taught myself to knit several years ago using a Patons book, I found it really useful to have clear diagrams in front of me.
I used that for the basics, and YouTube for more complex things like yarn overs, knitting through the back of the loop.
I think some terminology is slightly different (can't think of the one I'm thinking of right now, it's something like psso?) where the abbreviations are different in different patterns but I always look them up anyway if I'm not sure.
My next task is to learn to crochet!

PolterGoose Tue 10-Nov-15 19:34:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 10-Nov-15 19:43:25

In all seriousness this is brilliant grin - I had it when I learned to knit and the instructions and illustrations are very clear. If you like written instructions then this ticks all the boxes IMHO.

PolterGoose Tue 10-Nov-15 19:58:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFurryMenace Tue 10-Nov-15 21:40:42

I like Aneeta Patel's book: knitty gritty, for reference, but I need to be shown over and over to get the motor movements. I find Very Pink.com very clear and concise for video tutorials, and also iknitwithcatfur, knitting tips with Judy, knitpurlhunter all very useful on YouTube. When you get stuck it is still helpful to have a knitter friend you can go to for the odd thing, as sometimes you can't see where you've gone wrong. I also find the wise knitters on here very helpful!

Good luck!

SwedishEdith Tue 10-Nov-15 21:44:04

The Ladybird book is great. Sainsbury's has a great one for £10 atm - 100 patterns (which are mostly nice - for a change) plus lots of basic explanations.

tribpot Tue 10-Nov-15 21:50:39

I used Knitting for Dummies when I got started again - really clear diagrams and explanations.

Now I would probably just use YouTube. There are loads of great videos out there but I particularly like Knitfreedom. You might see there reference e.g. to 'the purl stitch - continental'/'the purl stitch - American/English'. Those aren't different stitches in the way you find in crochet, but about different ways of holding your yarn. The way most of us were taught to knit by our mums and grandmothers was to hold the yarn in the right hand and use the right hand to put the yarn around the needle. However, another style of doing it (which is probably what I would learn first if starting from scratch) is to hold the yarn in the left hand and use the right hand needle to snag the yarn. The first style is called 'English' or 'American', the second continental. They're also called throwing and picking respectively.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now