Talk

Advanced search

How big to make a blanket?

(7 Posts)
LollipopViolet Wed 04-Nov-15 17:12:55

Right, friend is expecting a baby, and I'd like to make her a patchwork blanket that baby can use for a fair while. I've seen fabric bundles already cut into squares, and I've done a bit of patchwork sewing before, have also seen instructions online so know what I'm doing there.

What I don't know is how big to make the blanket. I've got another friend with an 11mo and would quite like to make her one too, while I'm at it.

Any ideas on sizes?

MrsMillions Wed 04-Nov-15 17:47:37

I think most babies tend to sleep in sleeping bags now so the blanket would most likely be used as a playmat initially and then perhaps put on bed once child is a toddler. So a size to fit a cotbed/junior bed or single maybe?

DD1 is 2 and I'm currently making her a patchwork quilt for her new room and to use for naps (she seems to like napping on the floor!), it is from a jelly roll book so neither of the sizes suggested above, think it is ending up around 1.5m square. Finished the quilt top today in between feeding DD2.

MiaowTheCat Thu 05-Nov-15 07:36:26

These are the Mrs Snufflebeam blanket sizes (I have her price list saved just as it's a handy reference guide for this sort of thing)

Car seat - 55cm x 55cm
Small pram - 60x60
Pram 60x80/70x70
Cot/Cotbed 70x90
Toddler 90x90
Child 100x100

My mum made patchwork quits for my girls though and just did them standard single bed size - they'll get a longer period of use that way. She's also done one side in quite "kiddie" fabric and the other side in more plain traditional patchwork fabric so they can flip it over and continue using it when they're too cool for stars and giraffes and the like... she's got things like their birth weight and time on there and the meaning of their names as well. They're on the kids beds at my mum's house (we're mid renovation chaos here so they're safer there for the moment) so I can't get a picture unfortunately.

yeOldeTrout Thu 05-Nov-15 08:09:48

Any size at all (honest). About half size of a single duvet would be handy until age 5.

LollipopViolet Thu 05-Nov-15 23:08:46

Thank you so much! That's really useful to know - the fabrics I've seen are quite plain in that they're not kiddie designs, more florals and solids.

I think I may just do single bed size, then it's something to keep forever and mum-to-be can steal it if she likes it smile

Hmm, might take a while haha!

yeOldeTrout Sat 07-Nov-15 11:08:54

I've never managed to make a PW Quilt as large as single bed size, I don't think my sewing machine is suited to larger items. Good luck, whatever you do!

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 07-Nov-15 11:14:05

The newborn I look after often lies on his and we use it to cover him up in his cot when napping (tucked at the sides) 18 month old uses hers in the pushchair when napping. Prefer having a small blanket 50x50 80x80 size

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now