Talk

Advanced search

What do you do when you are stuck?

(24 Posts)
Wirralmumof2 Mon 02-Nov-15 20:31:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soloula Tue 03-Nov-15 10:26:05

Are there any knitting shops nearby that you could ask someone? I usually get my mum to help me but I know that my local John Lewis has a knitting expert in that runs wee drop in sessions free of charge.

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 03-Nov-15 10:39:28

Try running it past us here! I'll try and help you if I can see what the problem is... Am sure others here will, too.

PurpleFrog Tue 03-Nov-15 18:34:20

If it was a Rowan KAL is there no info about it online? See if there is anything on Ravelry.

Flossyfloof Tue 03-Nov-15 22:21:03

I am a very experienced knitter, nothing fazes me. And yet this week I could not work out what a pattern meant. Came on here and got loads of help. Got stuck again this evening and sat looking at the picture and reading the pattern and eventually worked it out, not before I had texted my neighbour to arrange to nip over tomorrow to look at it with me.

Icouldbeknitting Wed 04-Nov-15 07:29:05

I usually have a cup of tea, calm down and then search the internet for errata. Sometimes it really is the pattern and not you.

Icouldbeknitting Wed 04-Nov-15 07:36:16

Is it the pure wool worsted mystery afghan? (does it look like I have time on my hands this morning?)

SoupDragon Wed 04-Nov-15 07:38:30

I would ask on MN or, if I thought I need someone to show me, I'd go along to local yarn store.

Wirralmumof2 Wed 04-Nov-15 09:20:45

Wirralmumof2 Wed 04-Nov-15 09:23:46

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 04-Nov-15 09:50:58

Ah I had to look that up as I don't do much lace knitting. Apparently a yfrn is done when you are making an eyelet between a K and a P. So it's about where you place the yarn. Explanation if you scroll down, after Step 9 here with a handy diagram:

www.stitcharena.com/library/hand-knitting/yfwd-yfrn-yrn-and-yon/

Does that help? Looks like there is a video too but the photos are very clear.

I think what is happening is you're making one, but because it's between a K and a P the yarn has to approach the needle in a certain way for it to work. Does that make sense?

Icouldbeknitting Wed 04-Nov-15 16:15:23

If you stick with wrapping the yarn round the needle any way you fancy the worst that will happen is that some of the holes will be smaller than others. It will still make the pattern and it will be finished. If that bothers you then put it away until you can concentrate but when it's all put together no-one will be looking at the size of your eyelets.

Wirralmumof2 Thu 05-Nov-15 09:24:43

Icouldbeknitting Thu 05-Nov-15 09:41:20

You're going to be good for the first four rows and after that just take it a row at a time. Your mantra here is "finished is better than perfect".

tiddlyipom Thu 05-Nov-15 12:42:55

newstitchaday.com/yfrn-yarn-forward-round-needle/
This should help.

Wirralmumof2 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:59:42

Icouldbeknitting Thu 05-Nov-15 15:02:22

From a distance what you'll see is the columns of cables so if you can get those right you're laughing. You'd need to be closer to see any irregularities in the mesh sections.

It's just one part of a larger thing, you might be able to see every mistake in it but other people won't.

JoffreyBaratheon Thu 05-Nov-15 15:04:49

Sometimes these lacy things need blocking (washing gently and pinning out to size/shape) before they look right. The most spectacular Shetland shawls look like cat barf til they've been blocked... Might just be that.

Wirralmumof2 Thu 05-Nov-15 18:18:36

Luxyelectro Sun 15-Nov-15 21:15:02

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 15-Nov-15 21:20:18

Is it just this square, do you think you can do the other 5? If so, I'm happy to have a go at this square if you want to send me the yarn and the pattern and then send it back to you (hopefully) finished.

Luxyelectro Sun 15-Nov-15 21:26:30

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 15-Nov-15 21:32:23

If you don't mind that it may not be done until after Christmas I'd love to try to finish it for you. I've got a couple of things I need to make to give as presents so can't promise it before them.

Luxyelectro Sun 15-Nov-15 21:40:16

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: