Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you do when you are stuck?

(24 Posts)
Wirralmumof2 Mon 02-Nov-15 20:31:47

With your knitting and you have nobody to ask?

I have very nearly finished a blanket which was a rowan knit-a-long a while back

I cannot. And I really mean I cannot do the last squares. I've tried and tried. It ends up as a huge mess even with rescue lines in I can't fix it and end up starting again only for it all to fail again

I really want to finish this blanket - just 6 squares left.
What should I do? I'm not good enough at knitting to invent my own pattern to finish it. I thought about doing more squares like the others I have done but that would ruin the pattern of the completed throw.

Ideas please?

soloula Tue 03-Nov-15 10:26:05

Are there any knitting shops nearby that you could ask someone? I usually get my mum to help me but I know that my local John Lewis has a knitting expert in that runs wee drop in sessions free of charge.

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 03-Nov-15 10:39:28

Try running it past us here! I'll try and help you if I can see what the problem is... Am sure others here will, too.

PurpleFrog Tue 03-Nov-15 18:34:20

If it was a Rowan KAL is there no info about it online? See if there is anything on Ravelry.

Flossyfloof Tue 03-Nov-15 22:21:03

I am a very experienced knitter, nothing fazes me. And yet this week I could not work out what a pattern meant. Came on here and got loads of help. Got stuck again this evening and sat looking at the picture and reading the pattern and eventually worked it out, not before I had texted my neighbour to arrange to nip over tomorrow to look at it with me.

Icouldbeknitting Wed 04-Nov-15 07:29:05

I usually have a cup of tea, calm down and then search the internet for errata. Sometimes it really is the pattern and not you.

Icouldbeknitting Wed 04-Nov-15 07:36:16

Is it the pure wool worsted mystery afghan? (does it look like I have time on my hands this morning?)

SoupDragon Wed 04-Nov-15 07:38:30

I would ask on MN or, if I thought I need someone to show me, I'd go along to local yarn store.

Wirralmumof2 Wed 04-Nov-15 09:20:45

Thanks.. Right I'll try to upload a photo of the pattern.

Wirralmumof2 Wed 04-Nov-15 09:23:46

Here is the pattern for the pure wool knit a long. I can't go to a wool shop for lots of reasons.

It's the yon yfrn that's confusing me, I think.
And the lack of ability to concentratesmile

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 04-Nov-15 09:50:58

Ah I had to look that up as I don't do much lace knitting. Apparently a yfrn is done when you are making an eyelet between a K and a P. So it's about where you place the yarn. Explanation if you scroll down, after Step 9 here with a handy diagram:

www.stitcharena.com/library/hand-knitting/yfwd-yfrn-yrn-and-yon/

Does that help? Looks like there is a video too but the photos are very clear.

I think what is happening is you're making one, but because it's between a K and a P the yarn has to approach the needle in a certain way for it to work. Does that make sense?

Icouldbeknitting Wed 04-Nov-15 16:15:23

If you stick with wrapping the yarn round the needle any way you fancy the worst that will happen is that some of the holes will be smaller than others. It will still make the pattern and it will be finished. If that bothers you then put it away until you can concentrate but when it's all put together no-one will be looking at the size of your eyelets.

Wirralmumof2 Thu 05-Nov-15 09:24:43

Right. I'm going to try again. It's been about 6 months since I last tried so look again at the links you've sent and see if I can finish this
Thank you

Icouldbeknitting Thu 05-Nov-15 09:41:20

You're going to be good for the first four rows and after that just take it a row at a time. Your mantra here is "finished is better than perfect".

tiddlyipom Thu 05-Nov-15 12:42:55

newstitchaday.com/yfrn-yarn-forward-round-needle/
This should help.

Wirralmumof2 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:59:42

Thank you :-)
Not winning yet. It just looks wrong. Might keep going and see if it looks better when more is knitted

Icouldbeknitting Thu 05-Nov-15 15:02:22

From a distance what you'll see is the columns of cables so if you can get those right you're laughing. You'd need to be closer to see any irregularities in the mesh sections.

It's just one part of a larger thing, you might be able to see every mistake in it but other people won't.

JoffreyBaratheon Thu 05-Nov-15 15:04:49

Sometimes these lacy things need blocking (washing gently and pinning out to size/shape) before they look right. The most spectacular Shetland shawls look like cat barf til they've been blocked... Might just be that.

Wirralmumof2 Thu 05-Nov-15 18:18:36

Cat barf. Ha.

Luxyelectro Sun 15-Nov-15 21:15:02

Ok. I give up!

Does anyone want 7/8 of a knit-a-long already knitted and the yarn to finish it?

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 15-Nov-15 21:20:18

Is it just this square, do you think you can do the other 5? If so, I'm happy to have a go at this square if you want to send me the yarn and the pattern and then send it back to you (hopefully) finished.

Luxyelectro Sun 15-Nov-15 21:26:30

I've done the rest of the throw.
It's just this last one.
It's 6 squares like that pattern upthread. I realise the problem is terminal actually. I simply cannot concentrate long enough to do it. The technical knitting is fine. I cant remember what I've just done to know what to do next. This is part of my disability so I know it's going to get better hence me giving up.

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 15-Nov-15 21:32:23

If you don't mind that it may not be done until after Christmas I'd love to try to finish it for you. I've got a couple of things I need to make to give as presents so can't promise it before them.

Luxyelectro Sun 15-Nov-15 21:40:16

Thewolly. That would be amazing. I'm not in any hurry at all. After all I've had the yarn for months ( it was a birthday present)

Can you pm me your address?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now