Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help with knitting instructions

(8 Posts)
SlipperyVixen Sun 01-Nov-15 17:20:01

Can anyone explain some knitting instructions? I'm a beginner and have started on a fairly simple pattern where 4 rows are repeated. I've mastered this but am stuck on the following bit:-

Next row (ladder row). Work across 9 sts, (drop next st off left needle, yrn, patt 6) to last 3 sts, p3.

Can someone explain, very simply, what I do on this row.
Thank you

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 01-Nov-15 17:29:23

Yrn means yarn round needle.
Does that help clarify tbings?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 01-Nov-15 17:32:43

So work 9 stitches in pattern you've been following, drop the next stitch. Create a new stich by winding yarn round needle. Work next 6 stitches as per pattern you were following.
Keep repeating the instructions in the brackets until you get to try he lasr three stitches. Purl the last 3 stitches.

GinandJag Sun 01-Nov-15 17:35:02

Is there are vertical "gap" in your garment, ie block of 6 stitches, followed by a gap?

SlipperyVixen Sun 01-Nov-15 18:09:41

Thanks for replies. Sorry to sound dense but does dropping a stitch literally mean sliding the stitch off the needle? What do I do with this free hanging loop?
If this is stitch 10 in the original pattern does the new stitch I've created by winding yarn round needle become stitch 10 and I start again with the pattern at stitch 11?
Thanks again

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 01-Nov-15 23:12:57

Yes, just drop the stitch off the needle. It's hard to know what garment should look like, but in guessing there's a section which looks like a ladder?

SlipperyVixen Mon 02-Nov-15 11:52:48

Yes it's a poncho and I now realise that this is how the laddered look is achieved!
Thank you so much for responding - I've got the hang of it now.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 02-Nov-15 23:37:08

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now