Talk

Advanced search

Knitting hem advice pls!

(6 Posts)
Rpj16 Sun 01-Nov-15 11:28:33

Hi all, in planning my next project. It's a jumper for baby 0-3 months. The pattern doesn't have a hem, just St St from bottom up. The collar is garter stitch.
I want to use garter for a hem, to avoid curling - how many rows should I knit to make it look ok and avoid curling? It's the sublime utility vest smile I'll try and attach picture x

gasman Sun 01-Nov-15 12:03:25

Would the bottom hem not be better with a rib k2p2 or k1p1?

I'd do about an inch of whatever you decide.

Rpj16 Sun 01-Nov-15 12:06:13

Thanks for the reply smile I was thinking maybe a rib, but will that look ok with the collar? Its going to take me ages to make this so, want to start the right way smile x

Mrsunders86 Sun 01-Nov-15 12:44:42

How many rows of garter stitch is the collar? I would try to match that, I've had some disasters in my time for thinking exactly the same but then not bothering!

tribpot Sun 01-Nov-15 12:53:17

The stocking stitch is the hem - it's meant to roll over like that. TECHknitter talks about the value of rolled edges here. If anything you could modify the neck to match.

But garter stitch will be fine as well, it might flare a little so I'd do it on a needle that's a size or two smaller.

Rpj16 Sun 01-Nov-15 13:23:06

Its 5 rows. I think I will just do garter St for the hem. And I'll use smaller needles smile I made a Cardigan before with a g st hem, and it did curl but with gentle blocking flattened it out. Thank you for all the tips! Going to get started now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now