Talk

Advanced search

DD wants a claok/wrap/blanket thingie- do I need to buy a pattern?

(14 Posts)
Katymac Fri 30-Oct-15 18:49:19

She wants a hood ideally which I am a bit worried about, but is there anywhere on-line to try?

Katymac Fri 30-Oct-15 19:19:30

I have a square with a slit in it but I don't think I can add a hood to that

I'm looking at circular cloaks with hoods but she wanted something squarer

& this one is sort of half turned from my one

Help?

Katymac Sat 31-Oct-15 12:25:29

Finished (no hood)

Photo follow

Katymac Sat 31-Oct-15 16:26:12

talking to myself

babymouse Sat 31-Oct-15 16:41:34

Have you looked a Pinterest or craftsy yet? They are my two go to places for random tutorials. (What you've done looks great!)

Katymac Sat 31-Oct-15 17:48:43

I used an old fashioned lead curtain weight as a button and did the loop with bias binding

I've had a commission to make another one for a friend, I'll have to buy a button & I have some leather scraps to make the loop for that

I spent a large part of last night on-line looking at loads of sites I but the hood is still beyond me wink

babymouse Sat 31-Oct-15 18:09:06

This just popped up on my Pinterest feed: ink{http://www.fleecefun.com/long-hooded-cloak-pattern-free.html#\www.fleecefun.com/long-hooded-cloak-pattern-free.html]]#}a5yy_p=4424796

Katymac Sun 01-Nov-15 14:24:33

Thank I'll have a proper look at that in the week

JoffreyBaratheon Thu 05-Nov-15 14:04:50

Not strictly what the OP wants, but for anyone else reading this thinking along those lines.... As a living history person, doing late 18thC/early 19thC, I've made a few cloaks now and all have hoods. Nice schematic in this book:

www.amazon.co.uk/Costume-Close-Clothing-Construction-1750-1790/dp/0896762262

Which could easily be adapted to a shorter, different shaped, cloaky thing body... My son and I spent a while winter wearing our 18thC cloaks in the house rather than light the fire in the daytime - warm as toast if made from decent broadcloth (although at £100 a metre you have to get lucky with a mill shop...)

I had an old friend who'd think nothing of walking round the local city in her 18thC cloak. No-one batted an eye-lid. But it always made me smile, spotting her in town.

As a living histry person, it strikes me there are many useful items from the past that you could adapt.

I am about to add a hood to a coat I made but never wore cos I hate the lapels. I realised I could pull the lapels right off, and replace with a hood so turning a nice cashmere/wool coat I've never worn into a staple. (Luckily I had enough of the fabric leftover). As it came with no hood, I am using the hood from another coat pattern I have, that I know will fit. I often swap things like hoods and pockets round from different patterns I already have if I prefer the one on an old thing I know fits me, or that has better pockets, or whatever.

JoffreyBaratheon Thu 05-Nov-15 14:06:52

* while = whole. Doh!

And I forgot to say it's not the cloak on the cover, but one inside like this:

farm6.static.flickr.com/5089/5249616572_5520261747.jpg

Katymac Thu 05-Nov-15 14:13:56

I really like the way that is gathered at the back - I'm very interested in how it attaches on to the neckline of the coat/cloak?

I was wondering about gathering the back half to the back semi circle of the neckline and elongating the front an attaching at the collarbone using a button on each side - does that make sense?

JoffreyBaratheon Thu 05-Nov-15 15:24:56

Makes perfect sense. I'm stealing the hood pattern from a duffle coat pattern:

www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/albion

to put on a swishy 50s' style coat where I messed up the lapels. Not this one but it's kind of similar to this:

butterick.mccall.com/filebin/images/product_images/Add_1_Full/B5824.jpg

It's hard to find a hood that is the right depth, etc but once you find one on a garment you like, I can't see why they can't just be used wherever...

Katymac Thu 05-Nov-15 15:29:08

I had a coat like that where the lapels went back and became the hood - it was lovely & deep and kept me very warm

DD has quite a lot of hair (you can see the photos on my profile) so a deep wide hood is essential

Katymac Thu 05-Nov-15 15:31:17

I'm not tremendously good at mixing and matching - I'm still a very basic sewer- much better at embellishing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now