Talk

Advanced search

Burda pattern sizing

(16 Posts)
SugarDiabetes Tue 27-Oct-15 22:01:45

Please help! I'm attempting a blouse confused

I'm a size 10 or 12 depending on brand. Anyone know if they come up big or small?

pumpkinbutter Tue 27-Oct-15 22:03:36

I have no idea on adult sizes but they are quite possibly the worst patterns to use! I would rather go without than use a Burda pattern blush

7to25 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:04:01

I would say generous, but you can always alter the pattern. They should give body measurements.

SugarDiabetes Tue 27-Oct-15 22:18:28

Pumpkin it does look a bit confusing!!

SugarDiabetes Tue 27-Oct-15 22:18:52

Thank you 7to25

flightywoman Wed 28-Oct-15 21:23:57

Your high-street clothes size bears absolutely no relation to pattern sizing - so best thing to do is measure yourself and then trace and cut the pattern to the size that matches your measurements. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is!

Be prepared for it to be up to 2 or 3 sizes different to what you would buy - I'm around an 18 and often cut a 22 or 24.

If you're above a C cup you might need to do a bust adjustment too as patterns are not drafted for bigger bust sizes.

And I would really strongly suggest making a practice one (known as a muslin or toile) out of an old sheet or something so you can check the fit and see how it fits together before you cut your nice fabric.

Youtube is your friend for most things - Professor Pincushion is good and so is Fashion Sewing Blog's channel.

Katymac Wed 28-Oct-15 21:26:35

& don't cut the pattern itself trace it on to greaseproof paper & cut that out

That way if it's wrong or your change size you can reuse the pattern

SugarDiabetes Thu 29-Oct-15 21:09:11

Thanks all.
I've chickened out of the Burda! Ive bought a simple 3 part New Look pattern to make a basic top and I'm going to make the toile and check the fit.

I'm a DD cup so may need to work on the bust...

flightywoman Thu 29-Oct-15 22:06:04

There're tutorials on how to do a full bust adjustment (FBA) on the Curvy Sewing Collective:

curvysewingcollective.com/?s=fba

I haven't tried them yet but I'm working my way up to it and have some spare sheeting for a toile!

elephantoverthehill Thu 29-Oct-15 22:12:57

Good idea to do the toile. I know they are more expensive, but Vogue patterns have never let me down.

SugarDiabetes Sat 31-Oct-15 20:26:11

Ta da!

SugarDiabetes Sat 31-Oct-15 20:27:11

Question please for those of you still reading this. Once I've adjusted the toile, how do I use that to adjust the paper pattern...?

elephantoverthehill Sat 31-Oct-15 21:11:02

If you can unpick the toile use that as your pattern. And congratulations flowers for being so clever

Katymac Sun 01-Nov-15 14:25:09

That's lovely, what material did you make the toile from?

SugarDiabetes Sun 01-Nov-15 15:02:40

Just an old cotton sheet.

What's best to use?

Katymac Sun 01-Nov-15 19:30:43

It looks nice wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now