Quick knitting needle size query

(21 Posts)
TheFurryMenace Sun 25-Oct-15 08:18:09

Hi there. I am knitting a super chunky wool scarf. I have used 2 100g balls already which should be enough for a decent length, but it is still too short. I have used 9mm needles. Would it have made it longer if I had used 10mm needles? I am tempted to start again on 10mm if it would be worth it in the end.

The stitch I am using is 1x1 rib with a slipped stitched edge.

TIA

Jinglebells99 Sun 25-Oct-15 08:25:39

On the size 10 needles the stitches will be bigger, and you'd need fewer stitches for the same width of scarf but on the other hand because the stitches are bigger , you might run out of wool before its long enough again. Can't you just buy another ball of wool? I wouldn't start again if I could buy another ball of wool.

TheFurryMenace Sun 25-Oct-15 17:20:43

Thank you Jingle. I couldnt afford another ball of wool, it was very expensive yarn, and I've put myself on a yarn buying embargo as gone a bit crazy lately. Anyway, after reading your reply I decided it was a bit mad to re-knit it, and just carried on. It turned out okay. I would have preferred it a tiny bit longer, but it will do.

Jinglebells99 Sun 25-Oct-15 17:28:22

Ah glad it turned out ok smile Personally I'd be devastated at undoing it and re knitting it so think I would just live with it being a bit short. I tend to prefer to crochet, but I have a couple of knitting friends who are forever frogging things and starting again so maybe it's more of a knitter thing?! Last year I made several cowls using large needles and a loop stitch that you made by making extra loops in one row and dropping them off in the next. Do you have another project to start?!

slugseatlettuce Sun 25-Oct-15 17:30:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFurryMenace Sun 25-Oct-15 17:42:51

Thanks both, cowl would be a good back up plan, I will bear that in mind for the future. I wouldn't have minded that much re knitting as I've rather have something I'd actually wear. In this case I'm adding pom-poms (hopefully will hide the disappointing bind off as doesn't mirror the cast on!). I will post a pic in few days once blocked and pom-poms added.

The yarn I used was Debbie bliss Roma in hot pink. It has alpaca in it so I think it will stretch anyway.

I am a fairly inexperienced knitter, and tend to prefer crochet, but I saw someone else knit this scarf and it was so lovely I wanted one!

Jinglebells99 Sun 25-Oct-15 20:22:13

Ah I have cast off too tightly before so the ends don't match! I hope you do post a picture as I'd love to see it smile

TheFurryMenace Sun 25-Oct-15 21:33:19

Thank you jingle, I definitely will post a pic. I was planning to make another one in a teal colour for my SIL as she's keen for me to make her something, but I might just see how this one turns out first. What are you working on? Perhaps we should start a Christmas gift knitting/crochet thread to share our pics and ideas?

TheFurryMenace Sun 25-Oct-15 21:35:59

In fact, I took such great care to make sure my bind off was not too tight, it ended up too flipping loose!

Jinglebells99 Sun 25-Oct-15 22:20:32

That's a good idea. I've just finished making my second Amineko crochet cat, although I didn't want to make sleeping cats so I've used large green safety eyes. I'm also making a second willow blanket inspired by the patchwork heart blog. smile

Flossyfloof Mon 26-Oct-15 06:43:22

What's frogging?

OldCrowMedicineShow Mon 26-Oct-15 06:56:38

Frogging is ripping it back (rip it, rip it, ribbit)

Sigma33 Mon 26-Oct-15 06:58:12

Frogging means undoing it completely for several rows, and reknitting (instead of trying to fix it without undoing).

Could you make it narrower and longer?

TheFurryMenace Mon 26-Oct-15 07:13:00

Jingle, just looked up those projects, love the cat, who are you making it for? What colours are you using for the blanket?

Flossyfloof Mon 26-Oct-15 07:39:28

I have been knitting for 50 years and never heard that expression and I am an expert in it! Thanks. ( sorry op for hijack)

slugseatlettuce Mon 26-Oct-15 12:16:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JoffreyBaratheon Mon 26-Oct-15 23:44:40

Flossy, that's an American expression. It came from 'rip it' (frogs say 'ribbit'...)

A lot of Brits use American terminology as they're on sites like Ravelry.com and don't realise they are using Americanisms, ie: 'gauge' for 'tension', 'frog' for 'unpick', etc. I tend to write knitting instructions in American English these days!

JoffreyBaratheon Mon 26-Oct-15 23:47:11

Forgot to say: A good trick for this kind of situation is to 'block' the item after you've knitted it - wash it, and stretch it slightly - either a bit of weight on the line or pin it out to a board to the length you'd prefer... You can probably gain a few inches on a scarf by doing this and it's routinely done to give shape to lace shawls.

MummySparkle Mon 26-Oct-15 23:55:40

I was just about to say block it block it block it!

I'm mostly crocheting. These days as it grows quicker, and all the shawls I've made have grown huge amounts after a good block. I stick them through a wool was on my washing machine with some hair conditioner to soften it up. Then stretch and pin out on some foam floor mats and leave to dry smile

TheFurryMenace Sat 07-Nov-15 07:17:48

Zooey for delay, here is a photo of the FO. I'm off to start a Christmas craft thread now!

TheFurryMenace Sat 07-Nov-15 07:18:41

Sorry even!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now