Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy yarn for knitted/crochet Christmas decorations?

(7 Posts)
soloula Sun 18-Oct-15 12:57:47

We've not had a proper Christmas tree up for a few years - got a wee kitten a few years ago who is now a big lazy cat and last year DD1 was crawling and we didn't trust her not to pull everything down.

We're looking forward to putting the tree back up this year but still have a few precious fragile deccies that I'm too nervous to put up in case they get broken. So I decided to go all DIY. smile

What I'm wondering is if there's anywhere that does kits of small amounts of Christmassy coloured yarns to save having to buy umpteen different balls to get a mix of colours? Or any websites that are cheap that I could buy a few balls of different colours without breaking the bank? I've only just started knitting and have loads of baby pinks, lilacs and whites for cardigans I've been doing for my DDs so I don't have any odds and ends of wool which would usually be ideal to use up for stuff like this.

PolterGoose Sun 18-Oct-15 14:11:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

It might be worth looking on eBay - people do sell small balls of yarn in job lots - some of it is what is left over after projects, and sometimes people split 100g balls into smaller ones, for this sort of project.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 18-Oct-15 14:19:20

Charity shops can be good, although you have to get lucky.

Any knitting groups near you? Might be someone who is looking to clear a bit of their yarn stash...

soloula Sun 18-Oct-15 15:49:02

There are quite a few knitting groups near me Rhinestone but not much chance of me going anytime soon as I've got a wee three week old who is ebf. smile

Had a nosy on Deramores PolterGoose - their colour packs look good. Will have a proper look later once DC are in bed but I think they might be just what I'm looking for - thank you!

MiaowTheCat Tue 20-Oct-15 10:34:04

For tiny bits of those kind of colours I'd actually be tempted to just go buy one of the magazines that does the yarn cover kits - I quite often use that stuff (I buy them for the patterns and am really picky about squeaky acrylic so wouldn't tend to use the coverkit stuff) for things like tree decorations where I'm not going to be picking them up and squishing them lots.

MiaowTheCat Tue 20-Oct-15 10:35:15

Personally these days I'd avoid Deramores - they seem to be having major issues with reliability and glacial speed delivery of orders of late... I used to be a big Deramores fan but I've defected to Wool Warehouse these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now