Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it a lot of faff to turn a skirt with a yoke & separate bodice into a dress?

(7 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 16-Oct-15 19:09:49

I'm picturing just skipping the yoke and stitching skirt/bodice together but think I may be over-simplifying a bit & can't remember ever doing anything like this before confused.

If it'll be a lot of faff, I'll stick to the separate pieces smile

RockinHippy Sun 18-Oct-15 04:31:13

I think if there's a yoke, then the skirt panels will most likely be shaped to fit onto the yoke, so won't sit well if you just sew it onto the bottom of the bodice. Without seeing the pattern, I'm guessing, that apart from losing ground a bit of length, the hem it going to end up dipping up in the middle

In short, unless you are pretty confident with manipulating patterns, - a lot of faff

lucysmam Sun 18-Oct-15 09:13:33

Thanks Rockin, I'll leave it and stick to separates.

I've not altered anything quite so drastically I don't think. If I have, it's been that long I've forgotten all about it.

lucysmam Sun 18-Oct-15 09:36:55

Oooh! Brainwave - that probably won't work - the top of the yoke is straight, could re-attach the yoke to the skirt so it's a single piece & straighten the bottom of the bodice maybe?

I need to fart about with some scrap fabric I think & see if I can make it work.

RockinHippy Sun 18-Oct-15 13:13:16

That "may" work, depending on how fussy you are on the fit - most people aren't & wont notice slight fit faults, but whether it will work or not really depends on the pattern & fabric - playing with scrap cloth is a good idea, but you will need to sew the back onto it too, to see if it drags iyswim

lucysmam Sun 18-Oct-15 13:20:02

It's for dd1 - she won't be fussed so long as she has the dress.

I'll have a play about in the week & see how I get on.

RockinHippy Sun 18-Oct-15 14:31:11

Oh if it's a kids one, that will be much easier, far less shape to fit - go for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now