Anyone made their own bias binding?

(18 Posts)
Flossyfloof Tue 13-Oct-15 10:55:45

I want to have a go at making some bunting with scraps I have in. I remember last time I bought bias binding they mentioned that they sold a bias binding maker. They have loads on EBay. Just wondered if anyone has had a go at this? - my feeling is that it is probably not worth it but am op n two persuasion!

TheHouseOnTheLane Tue 13-Oct-15 12:42:57

I've never bound my bunting. I use a plain fabric to back them...sew the two halves together inside out and then turn them the right way.

Hornydilemma Tue 13-Oct-15 12:46:20

I quilt, and a bias binding maker is brilliant for edging as you can then have binding in the exact fabrics that you've used for the main body of the piece. I got one for about 14euro, it's metal so nicely heavy duty, love it.

RueDeWakening Tue 13-Oct-15 13:18:07

I've made bias binding, but I just used a rotary cutter and an iron grin no fancy binding maker for me.

lavendersun Tue 13-Oct-15 20:32:20

I make self binding for most of the clothes I make. I have got the clover bias binding makers in 4 sizes, but you don't need those apparently. I have never used this method but look at this

blog.colettehq.com/tutorials/time-savers-use-a-pin-to-fold-bias-tape

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Wed 14-Oct-15 17:37:12

I've got one, it works really well if you can co-ordinate pulling the fabric through it and ironing it as it comes out. Takes a bit of practice but not difficult.

I'd just cut bunting with pinking shears though unless you want it to last for years.

WoodleyPixie Wed 14-Oct-15 17:40:49

I think the op means bias binding for the stringy bit that holds the triangles together?

I have made bias binding. It did add to the project but was time consuming. I brought a bias binding maker but by the time I'd cut the fabric in the. Bias and prepared it. It was easier just to pin and iron on the ironing board than use the little tool.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 14-Oct-15 17:47:09

Too much faff, even with the tool. I just buy the bias binding (and my stash is embarrassingly large).

lavendersun Thu 15-Oct-15 08:38:02

I love it, only takes me a few minutes and same fabric binding really looks great on necklines and sleeves.

FOC really as in practice I always have enough fabric left over to make binding.

Makes you realise how expensive binding is when you make it FOC.

lavendersun Thu 15-Oct-15 08:48:38

Oh, I see it is for bunting though, not sure I would bother binding that. The nice thing about making your own for garments is that the fabric is the same weight/drape as the item you have made.

I tried some binding I had here on a dress I made for DD the other week and it was much stiffer than the fine cotton I had used, so I made my own and replaced it. I was short of fabric so I had to have a join on the neckline which I hid with a bow.

moggle Thu 15-Oct-15 08:53:53

It seems quite a faff just for bunting.... I got a big roll on eBay for not much when I was making some. Certainly less than £14. It doesn't need to be BIAS binding does it though for bunting (?) - ie you don't need the nice curves you get with cutting on the bias? So if you were really keen to make it yourself you could (I think) just cut it along the selvage or the other way which would probably be easier and use less fabric.

Icouldbeknitting Thu 15-Oct-15 09:04:08

I have bias tape makers in a few sizes and I use them a lot. When I made my 20 yards of bunting I made the little flags by sewing two pieces right side together and sewing round three sides. I used the biggest tape maker with straight grain fabric to make double fold binding and slipped the open ends of the flags into that and sewed along it with a small zig zag (so when it all stretched it was less likely to pop the stitches).

Flossyfloof Thu 15-Oct-15 09:31:01

Lavender sun that looks lovely!
Thanks everyone, I am still not sure! It is only for fun so I don't know what to do, really.
Icouldbeknitting- I am sorry I don't know what you mean by straight grain fabric. Do you mean you cut it straight or are you just talking about the fabric itself! Sorry I am quite new to sewing.

lavendersun Thu 15-Oct-15 10:22:29

It looks a lot nicer when it hasn't been taken out of the laundry bin Flossy!

I made retro bunting once for a party - will see if I can find it, double sided like Icouldbe knitting, right sides together, I sewed the long two sides, turned the right way and then secured the tops by using folded bias binding as my rope with the wavy stitch on my machine.

We are camping at Christmas shock, I will be making some more (don't go in for faff generally, probably just pinking shears though, one sided.

Yes Flossy, you cut on the bias because it stretches, round curves for instance, you don't need to do that on bunting so just cutting it on the straight will do.

lavendersun Thu 15-Oct-15 10:42:35

Found it Flossy, two different fabrics alternated so each side is different, sewn together with the tops secured in cheap bias binding.

Hope that helps.

Icouldbeknitting Thu 15-Oct-15 11:23:26

What *lavendersun" said - for bunting you don't want the rope fabric cut on the bias (at 45 degrees across the fabric) because it stretches like mad. That's what you want when you're sewing it around a neckline but the opposite of what you want when you are hanging it up. My fabric selection was based on what I had a lot of that I didn't much like and I conscripted my son into some of the sewing.

Flossyfloof Fri 23-Oct-15 08:53:21

Thanks very much, all! I have found out that they do bunting on my sewing place's improvers' course which I am thinking of going on. I am on the beginners course now, I will find out when the course is and what it covers and take it from there. I have lots of fabric that I don't really like too and I think it would be great for practising or just putting in the garden or something.
Love the pictures, thanks!

gasman Tue 03-Nov-15 00:09:51

I' ve just spent a pottery evening or two making 9m of binding for my most recent quilt project.

I find it really therapeutic... I hope the long arm quilter approves of my technique!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now