Any sewers/dressmakers thinking of an overlocker?

(37 Posts)
SilverHawk Mon 28-Sep-15 20:48:21

Lidl is doing one for £129. It's a Singer 14SH754.
I've no idea if it is any good....but for the price, it may be worth a punt.

Katymac Mon 28-Sep-15 20:58:55

What does an overlocker do?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 28-Sep-15 21:04:27

Yes I saw that ad. I hardly do any sewing but I think they're quite desirable for those who do. They sew really quickly and trim the seams at the same time I think.

SilverHawk Mon 28-Sep-15 21:28:25

I'm not totally sure but they stitch the seam and 'bind' as in, overlock the rough edge and cut away they extra material. Look at a T shirt seam?

I think that they are very good for any stretchy material. Americans seem to use them for a lot of sewing.

You wouldn't want one for sewing a tailored tweed jacket.

lavendersun Tue 29-Sep-15 05:37:11

Yes, they cut, sew and bind the edge all in one. I have one, use it for knit projects or if something is fraying like mad but I prefer french seams if I can do them without too much bulk and I generally can because of the type of things I sew.

If I am making something for me (not knit), I would overlock each piece individually to bind the edges before sewing together with my machine, that way you can still press the seams properly/on a ham if needed.

Makes the inside look 'finished.

KatyN Tue 29-Sep-15 12:06:19

do you know when Lidl is selling the overlocker?? I went into ours today and there was no sign of one. I've also got the leaflet of offers for this week and next with no sign.

I NEED an overlocker!\

MeolsCop Tue 29-Sep-15 12:12:47

I've got one. It's great. You can just whizz up knit garments in barely any time. The scary bit is learning how to thread it, but it can be done by going very slowly and calmly and consulting YouTube.

Lidl seem to have them intermittently but quite regularly - I've had mine about a year.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Tue 29-Sep-15 12:38:05

I can't see them online do you know when they are coming in?

FelixFelix Tue 29-Sep-15 13:04:00

I love my overlocker. It's definitely the best piece of kit I own. It makes everything look so much more professional. I have the Brother 1034D which was £200, but the Lidl one sounds like a very good price. Not sure if it's a decent model or not so may be worth checking reviews.

lavendersun Tue 29-Sep-15 15:36:38

I expected to love mine too Felix, bought it two years ago, it is a decent one, but I don't, not sure why. I bought a few feet for it that allow it to attach trims, elastic, beads and god knows what else .... I have never opened the box!

I have been sewing since I was a teenager without one and thought it would add a dimension I wasn't capable of, but I only use it on 10-15% of my projects and in fact whenever I wear a couple of dresses where I did use it I always wish I had done french seams.

When I bought it I thought I would upgrade it to the 1150 micro stitch one but I am not sure I will.

DreamingOfThruxtons Tue 29-Sep-15 15:52:10

I want one! Shall also be watching with interest- are you sure this is a current/upcoming offer?

SilverHawk Tue 29-Sep-15 19:05:12

The offer was in the Lidl News not the weekly offer leaflet.

The offer starts on the 12th October, so that's a normal Monday aisle change.

The news also has a £5 voucher off a £40 shop (valid until the 4th October).

ButtonLoon Tue 29-Sep-15 19:09:26

I also have a 1034D which I looove, I'm wearing a knit dress I made with it right now. smile

Indulgingmum Tue 29-Sep-15 19:44:35

I have that one too Button. My Colette Moneta collection has justified its expense already. I love it more than anything. X

FelixFelix Tue 29-Sep-15 19:48:33

Lavender it's a shame you don't love yours! Mine also does a whole host of other things but I have no idea what. I sell handmade childrenswear for a pittance living and everything just looks so much better when I use the overlocker. It makes my life 1000% easier grin

DreamingOfThruxtons Wed 30-Sep-15 10:09:35

Oh, cool. Thanks for the heads up. Is the Lidl News one of the free paper/newsletter things you can pick up in the shop?

Hufflepuffin Wed 30-Sep-15 10:52:06

I have a 1034d that we got for £125, I think it's often £149 on Amazon. What I like about it is it's so ubiquitous that it's really easy to find tutorials about it online! It's scary to use at first but I love it.

SilverHawk Wed 30-Sep-15 20:45:09

I've had a look at quite a few reviews, on various sites. Some seem to be identical :s . I haven't quite decided yet but there is an in depth review on a blog called 'Kestrel Makes'.
On balance, I think that it's worth buying if you're an experienced sewer. (That's on a budget and can deal with the/any hassles.)

TheUnwillingNarcheska Fri 02-Oct-15 07:38:40

Well I'm not an experienced sewer and I bought one after my son asked me to make him a cloak with a hood (basically a long circle skirt) and it was made from woven fabric which frayed like hell.

I had been toying with an overlocker for ages to sew knits with, bought a Brother one because it was easy to thread. It was fantastic for finishing seams.

Worth it if you have the money.

SilverHawk Mon 05-Oct-15 20:33:37

I'm still dithering. I don't sew knits. Usually sew thick materials. Of course these often fray like mad but I just zig zag.
Where do you keep them? I don't have a craft room or shed.

lavendersun Tue 06-Oct-15 21:01:17

I have a table I use for sewing, nothing glam, but it sits on the corner with its cover on until I use it. It did come with a bag but that was as bulky as the machine.

SilverHawk Mon 12-Oct-15 11:12:41

Noooooo. They had sold out by 10am sad and of course they will not get any more.
The shop started with 64! grin

SilverHawk Mon 12-Oct-15 11:15:00

That should be a shock not a grin.

Katymac Mon 12-Oct-15 11:43:45

I guess I'll spend the afternoon driving round all our local stores!!

SilverHawk Mon 12-Oct-15 20:17:43

Did you find one katy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now