Talk

Advanced search

Easy skirt pattern?

(8 Posts)
thedevilsavocado Thu 30-Jul-15 07:51:59

I am a beginner sewer, up to now have stuck to cushions, bags and soft toys but my house is now full of them!! I have made a clothkits child's skirt and pair of trousers. I'm feeling adventurous and wondered if anyone could recommend an easy skirt pattern, preferably with an elasticated waist? I have a small waist and big hips so don't want to try anything with a zip for me yet!
Thanks for any suggestions.

NoRockandRollFun Thu 30-Jul-15 07:56:02

A circle skirt! byhandlondon.com/pages/circle-skirt-app This is really helpful to work out how fabric you need.

thedevilsavocado Thu 30-Jul-15 08:54:54

Thanks norockandrollfun. I'm a bit scared about the cutting out part for a circle skirt!

Suddengeekgirl Thu 30-Jul-15 10:29:27

I've made this one

www.shrimpsaladcircus.com/sew-super-simple-skirt-sewing-101/

It was really easy but next time I want to use wider elastic and secure it better as it has a tendency to twist- especially after washing.

NoRockandRollFun Thu 30-Jul-15 10:39:20

It's really easy, give it a go with a bit of muslin or make a "pattern" piece with a bit of newspaper to trace around. Loads of tutorials on you tube to look at......

thedevilsavocado Sun 02-Aug-15 08:07:19

Thanks so much both of you. Think I will
try both with some muslin and see which one I get on best with. I'll let you know :-)

flightywoman Sun 02-Aug-15 23:18:35

There's a free pattern with this month's Sew magazine - it's got skirt as well as jacket, top and trousers.

And then you can google the pattern number and see if any bloggers have made the same patterns and have any photos or advice.

thedevilsavocado Sun 09-Aug-15 09:11:25

Thanks flighty woman and sorry not replying sooner I've been away. Great idea about the blogs, that is just what I need, photos!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now