Talk

Advanced search

I made a bag - first proper (non simple shopper) bag ... for my bike.

(13 Posts)
lavendersun Thu 23-Jul-15 13:22:13

Well, we are going to have a train/cycling break when DD goes on her first school residential.

DH has a Carridice long flap on his bike and whilst I liked the concept I don't like the bag. It literally has a long flap that doubles the volume of the bag when in use. I prefer a rack bag to panniers and we don't need much for a couple of nights in B&Bs so this will be enough for me.

So, I took some measurements, ordered a few things, change a few things, sewed them, unpicked them and changed them again ... and here is my bag. Quite pleased with it but not pleased enough to not want to make another one with a few refinements.

I lined the flap with floral cotton and made some binding. Wasn't massively pleased with the quality of my webbing once on and think I might use metal buckles next time.

I am having my bike resprayed/rebuilt in the winter and will make another one at that point (to match my new burgundy frame colour smile) hopefully remembering all the things I would like to change.

The fabric is very thick canvas - I love my sewing machine - up to seven layers - no problem at all.

Quite pleased with myself really even if not 100% on the bag, had to post here as DH is sick of hearing me talk about it. smile.

TeaPleaseLouise Thu 23-Jul-15 13:28:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lavendersun Thu 23-Jul-15 13:37:15

Thank you Tea, I used two layers in most places for structure but used up to five where I needed it to be stiffer!

The fabric is massively waterproof (I have used it before) but I have a paint on waterproofer here that I will use if I need to. I had some machine waterproof thread too somehow! Hopefully it won't rain smile.

I used this

www.profabrics.co.uk/show_product_info.php?ref=0001775&cat=&catname=&subcat=&tag=&term=&from=%3Ca+href%3D%22index.php%3Fcat%3D0%26catname%3Dany%26orderby%3D%26limit%3D10%26page%3D1%26term%3D%22%3ESearch%3C%2Fa%3E

Bad news is that DH wants me to make him one, bigger than his bag (which is bigger than mine), with lots of 'amendments' hmm

lavendersun Thu 23-Jul-15 13:43:37

matching waterproof thread

TeaPleaseLouise Thu 23-Jul-15 14:29:19

lavendersun Thu 23-Jul-15 15:11:31

I would bleed to death from the pin pricks if I took orders Tea.

If you do go for this heavy canvas it does wreck/bend your pins. They were snapping when I was pinning things together it is so tough. You can get sailing seam tape which holds things together nicely (like double sided strong sticky tape) for sewing - a god send when sewing on the pockets and then sewing the sides onto the bag.

Point North is a fab place for anything outdoorsy Tea. Atwools and ESVO (latter in Holland but quick and cheap shipping) are good too.

I did buy the Carridice bagman to allow quick fit/off. If you do make panniers their attachments are really good, not cheap but good. I am going to make new panniers in the winter in Atwood's chocolate canvas, trying to recreate something lovely I saw online somewhere (still have the image in my head!).

I have got some absolutely ancient Karrimor ones I might use as a pattern. I did come across a utility bag pattern co recently, haven't used them yet but here

www.thegreenpepper.com/packs.html

I am making a cotton lawn top tomorrow smile, very different, and much easier!

TeaPleaseLouise Thu 23-Jul-15 15:59:43

lavendersun Thu 23-Jul-15 17:22:35

Those look fab Tea - I love a bit of clever utility sewing, lovely colour! I have just put the poppers on the long flap so that it stays up when not in use and sewed the ends on my webbing/cut off the very long bits.

I have decided on one (easy) alteration, then I am good to go for the next six months. DH is drawing his bag design as I write.

SophiesDog Sat 25-Jul-15 10:27:06

WOW this is EPIC. I wish I could sew.

YeOldeTrout Sat 25-Jul-15 10:30:09

I'm very impressed. How water resistant is the canvas?

lavendersun Sat 25-Jul-15 10:33:14

Massively waterproof YeOldeTrout, I made a cover for something that goes in our canoe a few years ago in the same stuff, different colour.

The bag got wet yesterday - it just beads and falls off.

Point North sell seriously great stuff.

prettybird Sat 25-Jul-15 10:53:30

Temporarily migrated to the mobile version rather than the app, so I can post some photos - our very wet arrival in St Malo, the following day going to Mont St Michel and then the 2 hire bikes and my bike in Nidri (Levkas) a few weeks ago seems like a lifetime

prettybird Sat 25-Jul-15 10:54:57

Sorry - wrong thread. I thought I was in the "New Cycling Topic" thread blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now