Talk

Advanced search

What fabric should I make these patterns in? Help!

(6 Posts)
FelixFelix Mon 20-Jul-15 17:33:20

I've got two patterns for children's coats. I'd like to do a lighter version for autumn and a heavier version for winter but I don't know what type of fabric I should use. It's not something I've made before!

The patterns are www.etsy.com/uk/listing/174937119/chic-cocktail-swing-coat-pattern-and and www.etsy.com/uk/listing/101258913/urban-weekender-coat-pattern-and

Can anyone help?

lavendersun Tue 21-Jul-15 06:59:38

I especially love the first one. Does it have to be washable, if not a wool blend would be nice for the winter version. I think the same sort of fabrics would work for both although wouldn't make the second one in this tbh.

www.plushaddict.co.uk/dress-fabric/wool-dressmaking-fabric/wool-blend-coating-reversible-floral-tweed.html

If you used boiled wool it doesn't fray at all.

www.trurofabrics.com/wool-fabrics/boiled-wool.html?limit=all

Something like this is washable

www.trurofabrics.com/polyester-fabric/coatings.html

Is it lined? Even if it wasn't I would probably make a size bigger and line at least the body with something for warmth.

Cord would be nice for the autumn version, or cotton drill or even a lightweight sort of moleskin ... I would probably use cord though.

FelixFelix Tue 21-Jul-15 09:00:37

Thanks lavender that's really helpful! You've just confirmed that I was looking at the right sort of fabric smile

I will be lining in a nice printed cotton.

If I used a wool blend (for example) would I need to use a different needle etc as its a thicker fabric? I've only really used cotton before.

lavendersun Tue 21-Jul-15 09:04:15

Unless it is something like silk, stretch or heavy canvas I tend to use a universal needle. I have a box of these in medium so that is what I use smile. Probably not entirely 'proper' in some way!

www.jaycotts.co.uk/products/machine-needles_uni-bx#.Va38uWBjd0I

FelixFelix Tue 21-Jul-15 09:16:11

If it works, it works! grin I'm excited to get sewing now.

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 22-Jul-15 09:08:54

I'd sew wool with a size 14 needle, or even a 16 if it was very thick. For cotton and most general uses, I use a 12. Most sewing machines are originally timed with a 12, so that is kind of their default. I'd use a universal needle and Schmetz are my weapon of choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now