Talk

Advanced search

Possibly stupid question about painting stones

(7 Posts)
StetsonsAreCool Wed 17-Jun-15 22:03:06

Where do you get the stones from? Is it just random stones you find? Or can you buy them in singles from somewhere?

Back story: PILs dog died yesterday, and 5yo DD is understandably very upset. She wants to make something to mark the spot where he is buried in their garden and I thought she could paint a stone with his name and we'll varnish it. But I don't know where to look for a decent, hand-sized stone! <novice>

Any advice gratefully received.

ArtyBat Wed 17-Jun-15 22:09:05

Garden centres sell large pebble/rock type stones which often have a smooth surface for painting on.

StetsonsAreCool Wed 17-Jun-15 22:33:26

Great, thank you. Will try some tomorrow while she's at school.

rockinghorseShit Wed 17-Jun-15 22:50:01

go to a river!!!?

StetsonsAreCool Thu 18-Jun-15 02:42:50

A what?!? wink

Thanks, I had thought about it, but the one I live virtually on top of is too fast and deep to find stones in.

rockinghorseShit Thu 18-Jun-15 06:51:36

what a shame, we have loads of shallow pebbly ones here, seems mad to pay!

PurpleFrog Fri 19-Jun-15 08:44:07

We did something similar to mark our pet rats' graves. We picked up a selection of rounded and flat stones at a local beach. DD painted them with acrylic paint and they were finished with a suitable outdoor varnish. To be honest they haven't lasted terribly well. The colour has flaked off in places. But I suppose the oldest is around 7 years now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now