Talk

Advanced search

Flower Girl Dress - novice sewer needs advice please

(10 Posts)
heidihirzel Thu 11-Jun-15 10:16:15

My SIL would like my two girls to be flower girls at her wedding this year. Obviously I will be letting her decide what she would like them to wear. But I know she has a very specific colour in mind and I am not sure we are going to be able to find it on the high street anywhere.

So I started wondering if I could offer to make the dresses myself. The thing is I am a very novice sewer!!

Is this something I should even attempt!?!? Can anyone suggest a good (simple) pattern or tutorial I could look at so I can see if I think I'd be able to manage sewing it.

thanks smile

Pantsalive Thu 11-Jun-15 11:29:57

I'm sure someone will come back with sewing suggestions but, if no good, you could always make lovely sashes in the right colour to go with cream/white dresses. They would be very simple.

heidihirzel Thu 11-Jun-15 20:49:30

Thanks Pantsalive, I like you're thinking, I could totally pull that off smile

Tangerineandturquoise Fri 12-Jun-15 12:42:08

Some of the flower girl dresses are rated as easy.
sewdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Butterick-3351.html this one is supposed to be
or this
sewdirect.co.uk/acatalog/M5795.html

I am about to make this for DD sewdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Vogue-9072.html

Ask about ideas- but if you are feeling nervous then I agree a sash is a very good idea.

heidihirzel Fri 12-Jun-15 13:43:44

Those patterns look beautiful, and like you say the are considered 'easy'. I'm taking one look at the zip down the back of the dress and thinking "sash it is" I don't think my sewing skills are up to even the easy patterns yet!!!

Good luck with your DDs dress it looks stunning, and I'm sure she'll be so excited to wear something that you created for her smile

RobinHumphries Fri 12-Jun-15 19:18:08

Even easier than sashes - I used wide berisford ribbon as sashes for my flower girls when I got married. Just used fray stop on the edge.

SnotQueen Fri 12-Jun-15 19:28:33

That's a lovely idea -but if you do go for it, give yourself loads of time. Being rushed and not being 100% confident is a nightmare (been there!) and you don't want to get overwhelmed in the run up to a happy family day.
Sashes are a great idea. Could you offer to make little purses for them to carry after they have done their run down the aisle bit? Or even make them something as a Well Done For Being Good Flower Girls present - like a replica flower girl dress for a favourite doll or teddy?

How lovely to have them both included in the wedding. That would have been my Ultimate Goal when I was 5 still is

heidihirzel Sun 14-Jun-15 08:00:08

RobinH - never hear of berisford ribbon but off to google now smile

SnotQ - yes, time is essential, I always seem to be up still at 1 am with my projects wishing I'd never even started them!! Absolutely love your idea of an outfit for a doll or teddy, they are the only kids at the wedding, and that would at least give them something to play with/keep them entertained for a bit smile

LIZS Sun 14-Jun-15 08:06:20

A sleeveless plain design shouldn't be too tricky. Often it is the sleeves and collars which pose a problem. If you pick a style with a lining you can practice on the lining first and work out if you need to amend fit before tackling the outer layer.

fortifiedwithtea Fri 19-Jun-15 04:19:28

I like the coloured sash idea too. If you used ribbon, remember it is sold either 'single faced' shiny on one side/dull on the other or 'double faced' shiny on both sides.

Single faced ribbon will keep a bow in place longer but you will see the dull side. If you use double faced be prepared to be constantly ties knots all day.

Enjoy the wedding smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now