Talk

Advanced search

lengthening a skirt

(9 Posts)
poppym12 Tue 09-Jun-15 13:42:23

I bought a couple of pretty skater style skirts in the sales last summer thinking I'd feel brave slim enough to wear them this year but I'm not.

I'd like to lengthen them and I've come up with an idea that I could cut the body from one of ds' s old tshirt and attach it as a foldover type waistband. Think this is doable or am I being daft?

princessvikki Tue 09-Jun-15 17:07:37

I think that would be a lot harder than it looks, lengthening is a hard 1, have you thought about using net around the bottom or a net underskirt??? it would give a pretty 50 style. Or wear with leggings in spring time rather than as a summer dress?

poppym12 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:22:22

i thought about lengthening it princessvikki but i haven't been able to find anything suitable as i'd like it to be a good 2 or 3 inches longer and remain quite casual. i'm afraid i'm a jeans all winter/spring person too so if i can't do anything with it for summer wear, i doubt i'd ever wear it at all. any ideas what i could use as an alternative to net?

i'm quite crafty - apart from anything that involves needles!

millionsmom Tue 09-Jun-15 19:24:45

I've just bought some wide lace to lengthen my DDS skirts. Maybes that would work for you?

poppym12 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:27:21

maybe millionsmom....... would you mind telling me where you bought it from please?

princessvikki Wed 10-Jun-15 14:06:25

Why about taking the top part off altogether and adding some wide elastic as a waist band and wearing as a skirt?

poppym12 Wed 10-Jun-15 16:28:16

It is a skirt? sorry, I don't understand!

princessvikki Wed 10-Jun-15 18:33:52

Sorry I miss read it I thought it was a dress blush

millionsmom Fri 12-Jun-15 18:14:45

Sadly Poppy I'm not in the UK.
But I just looked on google and a couple of places have come up which sell wide lace.

www.habbyworld.co.uk/sewing_shop/lace-trimming/

www.fabricland.co.uk/lace.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now