Adult colouring in books

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MrsMcGregor Mon 01-Jun-15 21:19:54

Am going to order the Animal Magic book from Amazon. It looks like it would be nicer to do with markers for brighter colours. These are recommended in the Amazon reviews. Are they worth it?

Thanks!

MrsMcGregor Mon 01-Jun-15 22:18:45

Bumping blush

Iloveonionchutney Mon 01-Jun-15 22:20:36

Don't know about the markers but I'm looking for my first book and on the weekend I saw book people have 1000 number dot to dots for adults too I'm tempted to try.

MrsMcGregor Mon 01-Jun-15 22:23:47

Sounds like fun ... don't tempt me!

starsandunicorns Mon 01-Jun-15 22:24:44

I dont have those ones but have ones simlaer enjoy grin

( love colouring in got 4 books and 4 different set of pens )

Silverturnip Mon 01-Jun-15 22:26:18

I bought one from Wilkinson's recently. I find it cathartic.

Alambil Mon 01-Jun-15 22:27:16

I have those - the box of 30 colours; some come out peculiar, but they're mostly bright and I've not been disappointed in their use - they flow well and don't pool ink

Eebahgum Mon 01-Jun-15 22:27:44

Staedler are good quality pens.

Alambil Mon 01-Jun-15 22:29:51

these are mine

Onabeach Mon 01-Jun-15 22:31:43

I have the animal magic book and found with the paper its actually better to use pencils! The pens just bled through

Wagglebee Mon 01-Jun-15 22:53:16

Which is the animal magic one? I saw a gorgeous one the other day and I'm regretting not buying it but it was called Animal Kingdom I think so perhaps not the same one.

I have the Secret Garden book and used pencils so I could blend colours if I wanted to. I didn't want them to bleed through either.

Can't remember which pencils but they were from The Range and a good quality brand.

That's no help is it? blush

Follyfoot Mon 01-Jun-15 22:57:12

I've got the animal kingdom one, its lovely smile Am using staedler crayons which are perfect. They dont seem to make Lakeland by Cumberland any more - does anyone else remember them?

Wagglebee Mon 01-Jun-15 22:59:29

Are they called Derwent now Folly? I might have dreamt that.

Wagglebee Mon 01-Jun-15 23:00:49

Just looked and the pencils I use are Derwent ones. Must be where I got that from.

<tired and confused>

Follyfoot Mon 01-Jun-15 23:02:30

Not as tired and confused as you thought Waggle, you're right! Happy days smile

Wagglebee Mon 01-Jun-15 23:03:00

I've impressed myself! grin

MrsMcGregor Mon 01-Jun-15 23:09:05

Oops sorry, it is Animal Kingdom! Can you get bright enough colours from pencils?

MrsMcGregor Mon 01-Jun-15 23:09:21

And, thank you for your replies!!

minionwithdms Mon 01-Jun-15 23:23:14

I have the Animal Kingdom book, love it! I've only used pencils in it so far, because I was a bit worried ink would run through - should probably be okay though. There are lots of little tiny shapes, so the fineliner pens should be great for it.

Follyfoot Mon 01-Jun-15 23:29:31

The pencils seem fine to me and I prefer the sensation of crayoning to using felt pens, but its such a personal thing. I had to keep telling myself there wasnt a right or wrong way to do everything, colours didnt have to tone with each other, there didnt have to be a pattern. So much more pleasurable that way smile

Wagglebee Tue 02-Jun-15 00:14:13

I fancy some proper crayons. Lovely Crayola ones. smile

I have a set of natural colours, so greens and browns etc, and some really bright ones. They do come up bright but you have to go over it a few times which you wouldn't with markers.

I'm having a hankering for markers now too...

Wagglebee Tue 02-Jun-15 00:16:09

^I have natural and bright pencils I mean.

MrsMcGregor Tue 02-Jun-15 14:21:26

Darn it ... pens /pencils or pencils/pens. What pencils are good? Have read some older threads. Staedtler are mentioned but reviews say they don't blend. Will I want to blend? hmm. Derwent but they cost ££££££ and the cheaper line gets poor reviews. Fabre Castell but which ones? Help! I have a book for DS in my Amazon basket and the poor thing is watching the post every day not knowing his mother is still procrastinating over colouring pencils and it hasn't even been despatched!

Thanks,

GooseyLoosey Tue 02-Jun-15 14:24:08

Markers and felt pens go through the paper. Dd has bought one of the adult books and discovered this early on. She was very upset. She has used sharp pencils since.

She loves it - it kept her occupied for hours (and she never coloured when she was little).

MrsMcGregor Tue 02-Jun-15 15:28:33

Have you been tempted to join her Goosey? I think I'll order pencils but there is too much choice! Come on lovely people, recommend some! smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.