Talk

Advanced search

GDanny square blocking

(8 Posts)
piemashandliquer Tue 12-May-15 07:19:58

just was looking on the woolly hugs page and they ask that you don't block squares as it makes it more difficult to crochet squares together. I am doing my first granny squares blanket, should I crochet squares together before blocking on this too? They need a bit of help!

piemashandliquer Tue 12-May-15 07:20:52

Obviously I mean Granny! Flipping iPad.

Dutchoma Tue 12-May-15 07:43:11

Trial and error, I suppose. I hate sending mine off unblocked, but I think that Pistey may have a point, especially if they do 'need a little help'.

MiaowTheCat Tue 12-May-15 12:36:55

I'm a lazy bastard and don't tend to block things unless they obviously need it (then I never ever do that pattern again because it involves extra work).

Mind you my "blocking" involves pinning them to the house noticeboard slightly damp until I remember about them...

I shall never make a glamorous crochet guru blogger.

SoupDragon Tue 12-May-15 15:41:10

I can rarely be arsed to block things. Sometimes a square clearly needs it though and it can make a huge difference. It can be useful if all your squares are slightly different sizes as you can block them to the same kind of size.

I put together one of the Woolly Hugs Chernobyl blankets last year and I did block some of the squares for that before I hooked them together. I pinned them to the ironing board and hovered over them with the steam iron. A very gentle block but it relaxed all the stitches nicely. It didn't seem to make it any more difficult to hook them all together.

If you don't have a lot of space, it will be hard to block an entire blanket so if you think your squares do need help, I guess you'd have to do them individually.

I think blocking will vanish as soon as you wash the blanket so, unless you plan on doing it every time you wash the blanket, it may not be worth it. The act of hooking together can solve some issues anyway.

MrsTrentReznor Tue 12-May-15 15:47:09

Ooh! I have a pile of granny squares I'm not using!
I block once I've sewn together, but I've only done small projects so far
scuttles over to wooly hugs to see what it's about

MiaowTheCat Tue 12-May-15 16:15:08

Loads of the time I find that the weight of the other squares when they're joined pulls any slightly delinquent one back into line anyway - or I do the flat braid type join (?think that's what it's called) which is a little more forgiving on slightly uneven square sizes.

piemashandliquer Tue 12-May-15 17:46:30

thank you all very much for your advice, I think I'll hook it together and then block afterwards if needbe. Its only a baby blanket size as a trial project, I don't think I can be bothered to do a bed sized blanket as I didn't love sewing in all those ends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now