Talk

Advanced search

Thread tension on sewing machine.

(20 Posts)
Rinkydinkypink Sat 09-May-15 19:44:02

Before I lose the plothmm

Inherited a sewing machine. I know the basics but no matter what I do I cannot get the thread tension right!

I'm sewing basic sheet cotton/polyester (cot duvet)

Rinkydinkypink Sat 09-May-15 19:47:40

Sorry sent too soon

The bottom spool thread is always slightly loose or baggy. The top thread tension will not tighten. I've changed the threads in both, been trough most of the tension setting (onto my 3rd hour ffs) yet on the odd occasion it works I get maybe 6 inches of sewing before either the bottom thread breaks, the top tension goes to tight or the back starts to bunch up.

Please help hmm

Orangeanddemons Sat 09-May-15 19:49:53

I would get it serviced. Sounds like more than a basic tension issue to me

Pikkewyn Sat 09-May-15 19:50:20

Have you tried a new bobbin? Or rewound the one you have in? Is your bobbin in the right way? The thread should be on the left, my sewing teacher said the bobbin should make an 'e' not a 'g'.

Orangeanddemons Sat 09-May-15 19:50:23

Are you sure it's threaded up right?

Rinkydinkypink Sat 09-May-15 19:57:16

I'm so pleased people have answered grin thank you!

Machine is definitely threaded properly! I've changed the bobbin and thread on it as it would have been old. I've tried different fabrics. I've replaced the needle.

I'm now reaching for the wine because I'm stressed. This is supposed to be my new fun hobby sad

Moreisnnogedag Sat 09-May-15 20:00:30

Is the lower bobbin in a case? If so, you should be able to drop it holding on to the thread (like you would a yo-yo) with a bit of thread released. It shouldn't fall all the way done nor should no extra thread come out.

What machine is it?

MrsPnut Sat 09-May-15 20:03:19

I second having it serviced, I paid about £55 for mine to be done and it is like I have a new machine. Mine had problems with the shuttle and they sorted it all out.

Rinkydinkypink Sat 09-May-15 20:03:21

It's called a Frister-Rossman. The thread runs out the bobbin freely but if I hold only the thread when in the spool there is little tension it just runs.

Rinkydinkypink Sat 09-May-15 20:06:16

£55 confused oh heck! I'm so broke

Janek Sat 09-May-15 20:15:04

I think you need to tighten the screw on the bobbin hoder then. According to my instruction booklet it should just need tightening a little bit.

Jellykat Sat 09-May-15 20:34:01

I 2nd what Janek says, try tightening the bobbin case a smidgen.

My machine can do this if i sew a lot of felt type fabrics, turn the machine off, and unplug.. if you can take the needle out and unscrew the foot plate, have a look, is there a lot of fluff build up, particularly around the teeth? This can be lifted out using a small paintbrush and tweezers, then give it a blow to get rid of any remaining dusty bits.

Rinkydinkypink Sat 09-May-15 20:34:31

What kind of tension do I need from the bobbin? Is there a test?

Moreisnnogedag Sat 09-May-15 21:06:08

unbelievably there's a YouTube video

Janek Sat 09-May-15 21:21:41

What does sewing caps mean?!?

Rinkydinkypink Sun 10-May-15 09:42:07

Thanks for the video! I've found all sorts on YouTube. According to this my bobbin doesn't have any tension!

Also found a how to service/oil my machine grin

Guess what I'm doing at nap time this week!

Moreisnnogedag Sun 10-May-15 10:24:59

Ah yes the wonders of YouTube!! I taught myself to knit via YouTube smile

Rinkydinkypink Sun 10-May-15 13:01:41

Ladies, ladies, ladies gringringringrin

It's flipping well working !!!!

Took 2 hours of taking apart, cleaning, oiling tension on lower bobbin was terrible so I've changed it and it works like a dream grin

Neat lovely stitches!!!
thanksthanksthanksthanks

ClapAlongIfYouLike Sun 10-May-15 18:56:35

Well done you!!! Sounds like you saved yourself £55!

u32ng Sun 10-May-15 22:42:20

Hooray!! Happy sewing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now