Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me pick wool colours?

(13 Posts)
Suddengeekgirl Sun 08-Feb-15 21:22:50

I'm going to make a blanket for our bedroom. I was going to use Caron simply soft but I'm having trouble getting hold of the colours I want.

So it's back to the stylecraft special. smile
Can you help me pick some shades of blue please?

It needs to match this curtain fabric.

Which blues do you think will work best? I think I want a pale one to match the background, a mid blue to match the birds and a darker one.

I'm thinking aster, cloud blue and either denim or royal.
Any ideas? wine

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 08-Feb-15 21:34:22

I really like denim and I think it would work well as your darker colour, with cloud blue as your light colour. In my opinion aster is quite bright and would provide too much of a contrast to denim and cloud blue.

What about parchment to match the neutral colour in the fabric?

RunsWithScissors Sun 08-Feb-15 21:36:47

What about Denim, Aster and Silver?

Or Cloud, Denim and Silver?

Lovely fabric by the way.

CatsClaus Sun 08-Feb-15 21:42:14

the aster is really lilac....not blue at all

I just ordered for my mooglycal blanket... ordered navy, denim, skyblue, walnut and chocolate, AND aster, it's fecking purple.

I only like the sky, the denim and the walnut....but am going to join and edge in the chocolate.

for your fabric I'd go with the denim, the sky blue and the silver...what about an off white? Or even white?

CatsClaus Sun 08-Feb-15 21:42:50

i mean CLOUD when i say sky, btw.

Suddengeekgirl Sun 08-Feb-15 21:52:51

Thanks all!

I should have said earlier that I also want to use cream, silver and parchment. And red. smile We have a big red wardrobe so I'm going to include that. I think I need a bolder colour to tie in with the red iyswim. Hence me wanting a third shade of blue.

I'm sure I've got a small bit if aster upstairs, it's definitely not purple though. confused

Suddengeekgirl Sun 08-Feb-15 21:54:29

The bluebell shade is purple toned though - I've bought that before and was annoyed with its purple ness

CatsClaus Sun 08-Feb-15 21:55:22

hmmm...i did buy it on line, maybe they swapped the ballbands??

I really wanted it to be a brighter soft blue.

Suddengeekgirl Sun 08-Feb-15 22:02:26

I used the aster in this catsclaus
Not very purple, can you check the ball band?

Suddengeekgirl Sun 08-Feb-15 22:06:10

Oops. Meant to add a pic of the pattern. It's honeycomb afghan by kazuko ryokai. The picture in the book has many colours. This pic is one from the ravelry projects page for this pattern. I like the colours but it's too muted for me, I want to add in a couple of bolder/ brighter shades.

SoupDragon Mon 09-Feb-15 10:23:27

I would have thought Aster Cloud and Denim. I think Royal is too "primary".

If I didn't have a snotty teenager taking up space on my sofa and blocking my access to my entire Stylecraft collection, I'd go and check grin

CatsClaus Mon 09-Feb-15 17:05:36

...i have sort of solved the mystery!

My yarn is woolcraft, and ime the colours are usually interchangeable, but of course have different numbers....

my woolcraft aster is a gentle lilac, and not the lovely soft mid blue like the stylecraft! grin

I'll use it in something.

Suddengeekgirl Mon 09-Feb-15 20:32:16

Glad you've solved the mystery catclaus smile

Thanks soupdragon.

Thanks to the marvels of Facebook I remembered the lovely lady at My Craft Life and got her to pick out some colours for me. grin
I'm quite excited to squish my new yarn.
But will probably be back to ask how to organise the colours into my pattern. blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: