Talk

Advanced search

Where do you download printable sewing patterns from?

(18 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 06-Feb-15 20:03:44

Thanks to a MN-er on another thread suggesting compatible cartridges or refilling the existing ones I think we can afford to get the printer out again so I'll be able to print rather than buy patterns <yay!>.

So, where's good to start, please? smile

SilverHawk Fri 06-Feb-15 20:44:45

I'll wade in first by saying that I don't like them.

I hate printing them out and then sticking loads of pieces of paper together.
That is my reason for disliking them.

However, I will buy if there is nothing comparable and I have downloaded free patterns.

I have bought from Grainline Studio. I know that there are lots of new patterns out there that are download only, some from new start ups that have good PR. Have a very careful look at what the pattern can give you.

lucysmam Fri 06-Feb-15 20:52:08

Thanks Silver, I've never printed one before...are there that many pieces of paper to them? smile

SilverHawk Fri 06-Feb-15 22:21:47

Eer, yes. It may say before you buy, not sure on that now.

SilverHawk Fri 06-Feb-15 22:25:33

Both Grainline patterns that I have run to 20 pages of A4 without instructions.

lucysmam Fri 06-Feb-15 22:41:11

hmmm, I may not be quite so enthusiastic anymore grin

I'm just scrolling through free ones on Craftsy atm to see if there's a dress one I can print to test out my sticking.

OhMittens Fri 06-Feb-15 22:54:24

It's so not worth the hassle for bigger patterns like dress patterns. They require precision cutting and if you've stuck loads of pieces of paper together it just won't be (precise). Also, printer paper is a lot thicker than dressmaking tissue patterns and you won't be able to see through it to ensure you have the pattern on the fabric correctly etc. Essentially you could end up badly cutting out your pieces, resulting in an unwearable item - it's a bit of a false economy. (I do recommend printer patterns for smaller items like bags and craft items tho). Dress patterns can be a few quid on Ebay. Or around £5 new, or you could see if there is anything being given away on Freecycle.

RavenRose Fri 06-Feb-15 22:54:45

I've used burda a few times

www.burdastyle.co.uk/?gclid=CMGl0pGyzsMCFaHHtAodim4AAg

Also sewingpatterns.com

They also do downloads. It's a us site but they are good.

Not sure if this is any good? Historical downloadable patterns. Unfortunately one did go to about 80 pages but it didn't use that much ink just lots of paper. It's a another us site

store.reconstructinghistory.com/downloadable-patterns.html

I've done one of the victorian ones and they've worked well. Ok, I still have to finish but it's working well so farsmile

Inthedarkaboutfashion Sat 07-Feb-15 07:57:32

I buy burda magazine (monthly) and trace the patterns. You get about 25 patterns for £4.99. Or you can buy burda easy magazine (couple of times a year) which has 15 patterns you can just cut out with no need to trace, it costs £5.99.

lucysmam Sat 07-Feb-15 08:06:03

I'll have a look for something smaller to try in that case, thanks Mittens. The girls have lots of requests so shouldn't be too hard!

lucysmam Sat 07-Feb-15 08:07:13

Thanks for the links raven, the reconstruction one looks good - will get the laptop out after brekky and have a look properly.

lucysmam Sat 07-Feb-15 08:08:43

InTheDark, my mum used to buy Burda magazine when I was little & make their patterns for us. I've still got a few of them somewhere.

I'm off to town on Tuesday for some bits so will have a look for it in Smiths.

StressheadMcGee Sat 07-Feb-15 08:11:29

I've bought a few, and find that it's great for kids patterns, like the Geranium dress from Made by Rae, but I've struggled with adult clothes, as a PP mentioned. I know that a few sellers have stopped selling their patterns due to the new EU VAT rules, so you might find it difficult to get hold of the pattern you want too.

lucysmam Sat 07-Feb-15 08:29:31

I think I'll stick to bought ones reading this.

I've not looked at used ones on ebay, I have visions of them all being cut to size already. Worth a look though I suppose.

SunnyL Sat 07-Feb-15 08:44:21

I've recently started using them and I'm really not a fan. it seems like no matter how hard I try i can't get the pieces to line up properly. it takes a lot of paper for even a simple pattern (I'm sneakily doing it on the work printer).

I've been using patterns on bursa style and ones free with magazines but really if i could pay more money for a paper pattern i would.

Thumbcat Sat 07-Feb-15 15:39:57

I've done a few of these but I swore the last one would be the last. It seems ever so convenient until you have an inch thick stack of paper to trim and match up. And no matter how careful I am, the final pieces never match up properly and I have to tweak the whole thing.

Honestly OP, don't even attempt it. You'll never get those hours of your life back!

lucysmam Sat 07-Feb-15 16:39:02

Right, I'll try Burda mag and stick to buying patterns in the Boyes sale (their choice is very limited though) and have a look at pre-owned ones on ebay as well.

lavendersun Sat 07-Feb-15 19:29:24

I wouldn't recommend it either. I have only ever used two and both of them were for historical costumes.

One was free from Hampton Court, a tudor kirtle, the pattern worked quite well but I thought that the printing and sticking was too much bother.

I can't remember what the other one was for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: