Talk

Advanced search

Your top tips for sewing with crushed velour fabric, please?

(8 Posts)
lucysmam Wed 04-Feb-15 11:32:32

I'm in the planning stages of dd1's White Witch of Narnia costume & have seen some silverey crushed velour that I think would work. But, I've never sewn a fabric like velour before so need all the tips I can get.

Other than laying the pattern so the nap of the fabric is going the same way on each piece, I'm clueless confused

lucysmam Wed 04-Feb-15 12:08:02

hmmm, maybe not...I can't change the foot on my machine but don't think the one it has will like the fabric. I'm not paying for a metre from the only place open (they only do metres and def. NO samples hmm ) to test it out.

Oldraver Wed 04-Feb-15 18:20:51

I would use lots of pins before sewing and sew down the nap. If its stretchy make sure you dont pull it too much

lucysmam Wed 04-Feb-15 18:29:48

Thanks Old, I've given up on that idea unless dp's aunt has a better machine I can borrow. I did some googling over the afternoon & am not convinced my cheap and rather temperamental machine will sew it well.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Wed 04-Feb-15 20:38:47

My advice about sewing velour is: don't do it. Velour is a nightmare to sew and brings out very experienced dressmakers in a rash and screams of frustration.

lucysmam Wed 04-Feb-15 21:04:03

Ok, I'll go with taffeta, or brocade if I can find some cheap.

I wasn't convinced anyway but if it gives more experienced dressmakers nightmares then I will steer clear with my machine! (and me atm, am on a steep re-learning curve)

SilverHawk Wed 04-Feb-15 21:32:05

If it's stretchy, steer clear! If it's velour/velvet don't be too scared. Line up the nap and give it a go. I made a great Steam punk costume from some old velvet curtains smile
Yes, the seams will wander but allow for that, unless you have a fancy machine. It is VERY messy. It's not that much different to sewing corduroy.
Don't heavily press the seams etc.

lucysmam Wed 04-Feb-15 21:38:29

It was stretchy. I did have some silvery blue velvet curtains lurking but think they must have gone before we moved last year.

I might invest in some to have a play with if I get my hands on a decent machine but will leave it well alone for the mo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: