Talk

Advanced search

which is the least dense crochet stitch?

(12 Posts)
ZingTheGreat Sun 25-Jan-15 15:57:23

I bought King Cole Garland yarn to make a blanket - but as it is a chunky yarn (10mm crochet hook recommended) and expensive, I want to choose a stitch that makes the yarn "go a long way".

what would you choose?

btw this yarn is deliciously soft. and it's red. naturally I'm in love with it!grin

ZingTheGreat Sun 25-Jan-15 15:59:44

Ideally I'd like to make it either a large granny square or granny stripes but wonder if I will end up with a small blanket only.

or would it help if i used a bigger needle and kept a looser tension?
really don't know what's best.
help!!

SoupDragon Mon 26-Jan-15 09:53:34

This is a giant granny square using a 10mm hook - you could look at the yardage and get an idea of how big a blanket you will end up with using your wool. I don't imagine a striped one would be much different in terms of yardage if you used the same number of TCs and chains.

ZingTheGreat Mon 26-Jan-15 22:30:01

Thanks soup, will look as soon as I posted this.

1 ball of 200g is 74 yards (68m)

I have got tons , bought more on sale off Ebay today so having enough is not a problem. I just don't want a dense, rigid, heavy fabric.

was thinking of granny stripes but 2 tr c instead of 3 to make it lighter.

I thinkmi can't avoid crocheting a few different samples before deciding. it will be 2m x2m or bigger and I must be able to stuff it in washing machine.

SoupDragon Tue 27-Jan-15 07:39:50

I think you need to make swatches too. I would probably stick with 3TC but yes, I'd try sticking a chain in between. The one on Ravelry link doesn't use any chains between the clusters, which is normal.

Part of me thinks a 2m square blanket made of chunky wool is going to be too big and heavy for a washing machine though - especially when it's wet and hits the spin cycle!

ZingTheGreat Fri 30-Jan-15 12:17:09

Soup

i was thinking about washing machine too - ours takes 8kgs and has a large drum so it should be ok as long as I use less then 40 balls.

I think I'll do it granny stripes, I prefer the look to granny squares.

one more thing : I really struggle with crocheting onto the starting row of chain stitches - with such a fluffy yarn I can't make out front or back of stitch easily (especially is the chain itself slightly "twists" on itself)
any suggestions?

SoupDragon Fri 30-Jan-15 12:25:33

Try using a larger hook for the foundation chain, it might help.

Or it's worth spending sometime learning how to do a chainless foundation row. I start off the majority of my projects this way now.

ZingTheGreat Fri 30-Jan-15 16:35:45

chainless foundation row?

what magical delight is it that thou speakest of?

<flees to Aunts Google and Pinterest>

SoupDragon Fri 30-Jan-15 16:44:54

I think I learnt with this video.

ZingTheGreat Fri 30-Jan-15 17:26:12

Soup

thanks!!
in the meantime I have found one on Pinterest for US terms Single, Half Double and Double crochet - the lattest is what I need (as we both know it's UK Treble)

I have already worked up a few inches on my practice chunky DK yarn and I'm in love with you with this technique!

love you so much for telling me about it, thank you thank you thank you for every chain bloody stitch I will never have to do!thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

seriously you are amazing and now I can dive in knowing my blanket will be a joy to make!

YAY!!!!smile grin

SoupDragon Fri 30-Jan-15 17:32:52

No problem smile

What I love is that you just keep going until you like the length. Obviously there are issues if you've got a stitch pattern repeat when you still need to count but the end result is still superior to a chain I think.

It is wonderful for Ripples although you do have to concentrate when doing it.

ZingTheGreat Sat 31-Jan-15 00:29:15

i guess i could count the stitches once I'm at about the right length (might do just that).

but i don't know exactly how many stitches i need including turning chains each side and single TC added to some of these (I'm copying a scarf pattern) so I think I'll just make it a few "chains" longer and, if necessary, undo a few at the very beginning of foundation chain once I crocheted a few rows.

I have now done 2/3 of foundation row, it's so easy and looks lovely (by accident I altered the pattern I saw, but it works all the same).
so looking forward to gettting on with this.

thank you so much for all your help SoupD!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: