Advanced search

Beginner's sewing machine book for a 12 yr old that isn't too pink and girly?

(8 Posts)
CrabbyTheCrabster Thu 22-Jan-15 14:11:55

I got my DD a sewing machine for Christmas. She's a complete novice. Her twelth birthday is approaching and I'd like to get her a how-to book to get her started. All the ones I've seen seem to be aimed at younger children (7+) or be very pink and girly. Could anyone recommend a book that's simple and clear but not too cutesy?

lavendersun Thu 22-Jan-15 18:28:07

My sewing shop has one - the owner showed it to me for my daughter. It was a nice book, covered basic sewing, curves, right angles and a few projects. Showed how to thread and even had a little bit on maintenance. I didn't buy it because she has been using a machine for a year or so (just a hand turn Singer - not that she maintains it though!). I thought it looked fairly grown up, as in beyond the current sewing book we have.

Of course I have no idea what it was called but I will have a look if I go there tomorrow.

CrabbyTheCrabster Sat 24-Jan-15 10:39:10

Thank you lavender. smile

lavendersun Sat 24-Jan-15 19:27:17

Hi Crabby - Sorry I got tied up with writing a very boring report on Friday, I will have a look on Monday morning.

lavendersun Mon 26-Jan-15 09:08:51

Crabby - sick child here which means I won't get into town until Friday.

I had a look at amazon to see if I could recognise the book - not sure to be honest:

I like the look of this one, one of the reviews on this one says it was suitable for their 11 year old, another one bought for their granddaughter etc., etc.:

These look younger but some of the reviews have bought for 11 year olds.

I will have a look when I get there and post back.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Mon 26-Jan-15 09:11:33

I am about to set off to collect an eBay purchase of a new sewing machine so I am watching this this with interest. I am a total beginner!

lavendersun Mon 26-Jan-15 09:27:37

There seems to be so much choice out there Home I think that you just have to find one you like the look of and you can look inside most of them these days on Amazon.

I like books but not everyone does, there are other ways to learn if you prefer something else, you tube, blogs, etc.

I have too many books generally so a book is always my first choice.

I hope you like your machine!

CrabbyTheCrabster Tue 27-Jan-15 23:46:12

Sorry had missed these replies.

I have now ordered six or so books from the library - I figure DD can have a read of all of them and if there's one she particularly likes, I'll buy it for her.

I agree about the books vs youtube, too Lavender. DD loves to read but she enjoys how-to videos about art and stuff. Hopefully we'll find the right combination for her. Thanks for your advice. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now