Talk

Advanced search

Voile for a swishy petticoat?

(12 Posts)
lucysmam Thu 15-Jan-15 12:06:01

Would voile be ok to use for a swishy petticoat? I have about 1.5m lurking in my box of tricks. It's not quite big enough to do a curtain for any of the windows here which must be what I originally bought it for (I think).

lucysmam Fri 16-Jan-15 15:49:10

Anyone? smile

KatyMac Fri 16-Jan-15 16:47:49

What sort of swishy petticoat?

It would hang quite nicely but might stick to your legs

A sticky out one would need net, mostly they are cotton to keep a nylon/polyester skirt from sticking to you legs with static

lucysmam Fri 16-Jan-15 17:33:24

Ah, that's probably a no then.

I have some net - hate the bloody stuff. Was after a softer petticoat.

Never mind, sure I'll find a use for it.

Thanks smile

KatyMac Fri 16-Jan-15 17:48:13

You could layer the voile with the net s0 have a layer sewn on to the net to stop it scratching & it wouldn't/shouldn't stick to your legs

lucysmam Fri 16-Jan-15 17:52:30

Won't I still end up with quite a sitff petticoat then?

I'll have a go and see how it goes - have no other plans for it so may as well experiment.

lucysmam Fri 16-Jan-15 17:52:51

sitff - stiff confused

KatyMac Fri 16-Jan-15 18:04:50

Probably like a 1950's petticoat - sticky outie

KatyMac Fri 16-Jan-15 18:10:22

If you have a little girl it might make a fabulous Elsa cloak?

lucysmam Fri 16-Jan-15 18:35:41

I do indeed have a little girl - Elsa's are on my ever growing to sew list confused

A 1950's sticky outy petticoat's the opposite of what I was thinking along the lines of. I'll have a look for some cotton and lace to edge it with.

Thanks for your help smile

LatteLady Fri 16-Jan-15 20:35:11

As a child I had the big sticky out petticoat, not the 1950s net variety but a cotton version which was starched to within an inch of its' life. Spray starch would not be dense enough, it would need to be soaked in starch, rolled up in a towel and ironed from the back when damp.

lucysmam Fri 16-Jan-15 20:50:30

Hmmm.

I wanted something that would move with the dress. To my mind, one made from tulle net like I have would be too stiff & not swish (I can't think of a better word!) with the dress.

It's not urgent, I have plenty to be cracking on with so will have a re-think & a play about with some scraps I have about the place at some point in the near ish future.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: