Advanced search

Folks who sew, I have £10 left of my birthday money

(19 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 13-Jan-15 20:55:20

What shall I buy myself that's going to be useful? Or shall I buy something to make?

I'm using the other £15 for an iron and metre ruler 'cos a cereal box does not work very well grin

I'm open to any suggestions smile

HeyheyheyGoodbye Tue 13-Jan-15 20:57:13

How about a couple of extra feet for your machine? A walking foot and maybe a 1/4 inch or zipper foot?

Or some lovely printed bias tape!

LooksLikeImStuckHere Tue 13-Jan-15 21:00:41

Pinking shears (if on offer?).
Bias binding maker?
A long tape measure?
Sewing gauge?

If you haven't already, get the metal ruler from a DIY place - so much cheaper!

lucysmam Tue 13-Jan-15 21:01:26

Extra feet are a dream, it's a very cheap machine & the foot it has doesn't come off confused

lucysmam Tue 13-Jan-15 21:02:12

Oh, thanks for the tip about getting a ruler from a diy shop! I'd never have thought to look there.

lucysmam Tue 13-Jan-15 21:04:06

Bias binding maker is not a bad idea! I seem to have used a lot of it since I started sewing again.

Or pretty bias tape...although too pretty & I'd just leave it to sit and look pretty iyswim grin

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Tue 13-Jan-15 21:19:39

A quilters ruler is invaluable, see through, strong and measured in useful increments.

lucysmam Tue 13-Jan-15 21:37:31

I shall have a google, thanks Macca.

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Tue 13-Jan-15 21:41:05

It's one of my favourite bits of kit, along with a decent rotary cutter and cutting board. I am a quilter and these things are bloody amazing and vital!

lucysmam Tue 13-Jan-15 21:49:32

I haven't tried quilting before. I do have plans for a Stampylongnose one for dd1 for Christmas though (gives me plenty of time for the other bits I'm doing if I plan for the end of the year grin ).

lucysmam Tue 13-Jan-15 21:50:40

Would a rotary cutter be useful for dressmaking too?

I'm slooooowly trying to build my kit up again - a lot of it has vanished in various house moves since I last stitched anything sad

sleepdodger Fri 16-Jan-15 21:43:09

Which rotary cutter would you get for about 12? Was looking at the fiskars one at JL and now it's sold out shock

LooksLikeImStuckHere Fri 16-Jan-15 21:45:22

I have an Olfa, I like the safety slidey uppy thing (technical term) smile

LooksLikeImStuckHere Fri 16-Jan-15 21:46:54

Prym looks the same only more expensive confused

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Sat 17-Jan-15 22:24:36

I've got a fiskars which is great and the replacement blades are quite reasonable smile

Hoogally Sat 17-Jan-15 22:32:59

What type of sewing do you do?

For me a treat would be embroidery threads or some new fabric.

But right now I've been practising my drawing to improve the designs I do for my embroidery, so I'd buy some charcoal and paper.

Not necessarily a helpful suggestion for you, but more an encouragement to think laterally about what you might want to buy. It's not always the obvious stuff.

lucysmam Sun 18-Jan-15 08:42:04

Hoog, you do have a point. I haven't bought anything yet.

I like sewing clothes - costumes really, always have been fascinated with historical fashion.

I debated a metre ruler, basic skirt and bodice blocks and set of dressmakers curves if I can squeeze them out of what I have.

RavenRose Sun 18-Jan-15 10:29:25

It depends on what type of sewing you want to do and what you think you'd get the most use from. If you're wanting to make your own patterns a set of curves is useful. I use mine a lot but never use a quilters ruler as I rarely quilt. For the same reason I don't use a rotary cutter as shears work better for me for the type of sewing I do. Skirt and bodice blocks you can draft yourself. Have a look at your library for pattern drafting books. Winifred Aldrichs books are good. She does a children's one as well. My blocks are drafts from this. If you draft your own you will need curves as it's a lot easier than doing it freehand. At least for me - I seem to incapable of drawing anything remotely curvey freehandblush. Helen Joseph Armstrong is also good but a bit more advanced. It would be worth doing your own as it's pretty easy and it's customised to your measurements. And saves quite a bit to buy fabric with!

And definitely look in DIY shops for a metre ruler. Mine cost about 5 quid from B and Qsmile

lucysmam Sun 18-Jan-15 10:56:03

I had basic blocks years ago but no idea where they've gone.

I'm currently making a pattern from an existing dress to do book day costumes from which made me think the blocks would have been useful, and the curves for the armholes.

I'll have a look at the books you've recommended, thank-you. It would be handy to be able to re-adjust them as the girls grow more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now