Talk

Advanced search

What sort of card do I need?

(4 Posts)
babybouncer Sat 10-Jan-15 20:36:55

Hello!
I have decided to make a sort of suitcase pop-up dolls house for my daughter and I now realise I have no idea how to! I have a small child's suitcase and my idea is to buy a few bits of wooden furniture to keep in the case, construct a floor over the storage area and some sort of walls. I can work out how to create the storage area, but I'm not sure what to create the floor from - needs to be sturdy but not too heavy - and I have no idea how to create 'pop-up' walls for the back and sides. Any ideas of what sort of material to use? How can I make it hinge and how can I make it stand up?
Any ideas gratefully received...

Hexiegone Sun 11-Jan-15 15:07:21

Would grey board work? It's fairly easy to cut and is reasonably sturdy.

Not sure about hinges and standing up - maybe masking tape hinges? For the standing up bit could you cut wedges out of the bits that will stick together, to act like a joint? I don't know how to explain that any better blush - I'm thinking woodworking joints.

Will you be decorating the walls and flooring? How will the flooring be pulled up to uncover the storage?

Ah, here's what I had in mind.

babybouncer Sun 11-Jan-15 17:59:09

Thanks Hexie - I like that idea. Where would I get grey board from?

Hexiegone Sun 11-Jan-15 19:51:03

I got some from Great Art a while ago. If you have a Hobbycraft near you they should have it, or an art or office supplies shop would be worth a try. I suppose mounting board will be similar but may be more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now