Talk

Advanced search

Quilting with Jersey fabric...

(4 Posts)
tiredteddy Tue 06-Jan-15 14:24:06

Anyone done this before? I've been saving my daughters outgrown baby clothes and thought is quilt them into a nice cover. I meant to start last year. Now finally finding some time.

So should I iron on the stuff that makes the jersey stiffer/ not twist before I cut the squares or after?

Midorichan Tue 06-Jan-15 15:08:38

I tried quilting with jersey, it was a bit of a nightmare tbh! But, that was back in the day before I knew of stiffeners etc. I'm looking to do this too with my kids old onesies etc - I'll prob be using either the stiffeners, or ironing on a very light interfacing to help stabilise the fabric. Or failing that, I'll take the more laborious route of interlacing with tissue paper to stabilise before sewing through it all then taking out the paper after, so the fabric remains nice and soft smile

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 06-Jan-15 15:13:45

I would iron it on before cutting, or else they could stretch out of shape after you've cut them. The stiffener will make it easier to cut accurately, too.

tiredteddy Tue 06-Jan-15 15:44:54

Thanks! Will spend my evening ironing on interfacing then grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now