Talk

Advanced search

Dressmakers, can I run something by you, please?

(9 Posts)
lucysmam Mon 05-Jan-15 16:10:12

I'm planning Elsa dresses. The pattern I've ordered calls for an applique on the cape - in the same fabric, attached with fusible web, in a sort of half snowflake pattern.

I'm wondering whether I could skip the applique & just glitter glue the shape straight onto the organza? Or just buy something with snowflakes & just do one cape piece?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 05-Jan-15 16:12:20

I don't see why not, but fusible web really isn't hard and will look more professional than glitter glue.

lucysmam Mon 05-Jan-15 16:31:53

I'm trying to keep costs down is all. I have glitter glue already so was thinking I could buy less fabric doing that & not need the fusible web as well as applique fabric.

I'll wait until the pattern gets here & have a look how big the applique is.

I've never used fusible web before, is it anything like interfacing to use?

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 05-Jan-15 16:34:24

Fusible web is really cheap - 85p per square metre at my local market or you can buy thin strips of it - the hemming tape one (wundaweb), which is £1 for two very long rolls.

lucysmam Mon 05-Jan-15 16:49:42

I've never used Wondaweb!

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 05-Jan-15 16:52:31

It's just hemming tape. You iron it between the two layers that you want bonding together. It's very easy to use and super cheap.

lucysmam Mon 05-Jan-15 16:53:17

I might stick to the original instructions then to try it out & have a hunt again for some cheaper fabric.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 05-Jan-15 16:59:25

Once you have used fusible webbing you will find all sorts of uses for it to save you from sewing: repairing trousers hems, fixing sewing or brownie badges to garments, making clothes with invisible hems, reinforcing curtain hems when making new curtains....

lucysmam Mon 05-Jan-15 17:01:22

grin not sewing Brownie badges has sold me on it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now