Talk

Advanced search

Tasteful quilt kits

(20 Posts)
glorious Sat 03-Jan-15 10:59:10

I've nearly finished a quilt for DD'S cot and have really enjoyed it except the cutting drove me nuts. I'd like to do one for our bed but was considering a kit or at least pre cut fabric to avoid the cutting stage. But everything I can see online is shall we say not to my taste! I'd ideally like something neutral and not too fussy but with some small patterns.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Sat 03-Jan-15 21:18:03

Urgh, cutting is the worst. Takes longer than the sewing. I haven't seen a kit where they come assembled but do you have one of the rubber mould things? Then you could mark the pieces to make them easier to quilt?

Or do a chevron style quilt, look great but is just rectangles which are dead easy to cut...

Like this but in your preferred colours?

GetMeOut Sat 03-Jan-15 23:10:36

If you buy material in jelly rolls this is already in strips of 2 1/2 inches ( I think ) and then just cut into the rectangles or buy packs of charm squares if you want squares.

Inkspellme Sat 03-Jan-15 23:22:36

Would agree that the jelly roll quilt book and a jelly roll will open up a lot of choices. look online for patterns using charm packs or layer cakes. Using those pre cut packs should really open up your choices.

GetMeOut Sat 03-Jan-15 23:25:54

Have you looked at the Eclectic Maker website ? They do a a good selection of jelly rolls and charm packs with a modern / neutral theme - plus some if it is in the sale at the moment. They deliver very promptly and beautifully packaged - I use them a lot and have never been disappointed.

TimeWarp Sat 03-Jan-15 23:43:37

How did you cut for the last quilt? I use a rotary cutter and this ruler. It comes up pretty fast as you can cut several strips at a time.

Gadgettherobot Sat 03-Jan-15 23:59:55

Look on etsy.com, just search quilt kit. Loads to choose from, just make sure you select 'will ship to U.K.' on the left hand panel.

glorious Sun 04-Jan-15 13:38:19

Lots of good suggestions there, thanks.

I cut with a rotary cutter and mat, though it really didn't help that the design wasn't quite printed straight on the fabric (it was from spoonflower). I could try the rubber template.

time is there something about that particular ruler as opposed to general clear quilter's rulers? I couldn't tell.

A few things I like on Eclectic Maker, thanks get. Not entire packs but some of the fabrics are the right kind of thing so if I do my sums I might be able to justify some and just not use the ones I don't want.

Or have any of you quilted plain velvet or similar? Would that be quite hard? I have a decent sewing machine.

But I do like the piecing and deciding on a design, so perhaps I'll just need to bear the cutting.

TimeWarp Sun 04-Jan-15 14:44:52

Yes, it has a series of groves at half inch intervals up to 18 inches wide. S if I'm cutting 2" strips I can line it up once and cut up to 9 strips without lining up again. There are some YouTube videos, I'll see if I can link.

TimeWarp Sun 04-Jan-15 14:50:21

Here you go.

glorious Sun 04-Jan-15 14:53:09

Ooh that sounds great, thanks. I'll get one of those.

TimeWarp Sun 04-Jan-15 14:58:35

The one I have is the Shape Cut Plus, so it's wider than the one in that video.

glorious Sun 04-Jan-15 14:59:19

Cross post, I've now watched the video and I'm totally sold! Wow! Thank you! flowers

TimeWarp Sun 04-Jan-15 15:04:16

It's possible to use other fabrics for quilting, but it can get very bulky at the joins so a simple strip pattern would work best and you would want to avoid lots of fabrics joining at one corner. I think for velvet you would also need a more generous seam allowance, so more bulk there too.

FannyFanakapan Sun 04-Jan-15 15:07:55

velvet is a pig to sew....ALso, because the weight of the fabric s very different from cotton, the seams may not wear well.

There are many online pattern sites for strip quilts and layer cake quilts.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Sun 04-Jan-15 15:09:21

velvet is an absolute bugger to work with. Unless you really really want to I wouldn't. You do need a generous seam allowance - you also have to decide which way round you want it - and whether every bit is going to be the same way round... (and I only made a teddy's waiscoat, would not like to do as much as a quilt with it!!)

glorious Sun 04-Jan-15 15:16:38

I'll steer clear of velvet then, thanks! I was meaning one big piece with just lines quilted on rather than cut and joined, but even so I don't think I'm up to it if it's that much of a pain.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Sun 04-Jan-15 15:27:11

I did one like this kaffe fasset library quilt (DH loves books) cutting was easy rectangles.

Deux Sun 04-Jan-15 15:43:39

Yes, yes to the shape cut plus. It's fab.

You can use charm packs/precuts and then have limited cutting eg half square triangles.

I would really recommend the tutorials by the Missouri Star Quilt Company as they all use precuts. You're bound to find something there that minimises cutting. Cutting yardage is a pain and quite tricky to get accurate over large volumes <bitter experience>.

Here quiltingtutorials.com

glorious Wed 07-Jan-15 19:49:39

Thanks deux, I'll take a look.

Shape cut on order smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now