Talk

Advanced search

Novice sewer

(15 Posts)
Blueboys2009 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:58:37

Hi All,
As part of my Christmas present, my DH has bought me a half day introduction to sewing course. By the end of this, I should know the basics of how to use my machine, and hopefully have made a bag! I really am a beginner (can barely thread the sewing machine) and the last thing I made was an apron in home economics class almost thirty years ago (although the pinny is still going strong and was put to use when visiting my parents over xmas!).

But I know what I'm like - more enthusiasm than ability and actually getting round to doing!

So, in order that the course tomorrow isn't a complete waste of time and money, I want to plan something I can do with my (hopefully) newly learnt skills.

Suggestions welcomed of easy/quick projects for a novice sewer - thank you.

florentina1 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:09:52

Buy some fat quarters and then you can practice. Make a bag, a pinny, a bed throw.,dolls clothes. Hobby craft have them for half price at the minute. I bought some 1p books from Amazon to give me ideas. I bought a sewing machine just before Xmas. Hope you enjoy.

Blueboys2009 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:43:11

Thanks for the suggestions florentina. I'll have a look at hobbycraft and amazon.

lucysmam Fri 02-Jan-15 23:12:51

florentina, what books did you get for 1p?

lucysmam Fri 02-Jan-15 23:14:17

Blue, Boyes in my town sell New Look sewing patterns, I had a flick through the book today & there were some very simple looking kids clothes if you fancied making clothes (and have dc's or someone who would use them, of course smile ).

Marcipex Fri 02-Jan-15 23:20:28

Here are a couple of things I've sewn on a machine, using up small pieces.
Do you have children to sew for?

Blueboys2009 Fri 02-Jan-15 23:43:30

Thanks Lucysmam and Marciepix.

Yes, I do have DC, but really not sure I'm up to making clothes for them!

Have been looking online for ideas for fat quarters, and quite like the look of some bags (tote/book bags, or toiletry type bags) and some aprons (adult and children) as well as quilts (but I can't get my head around joining up all those squares so there's not loads of bulky edges/seams everywhere).

LooksLikeImStuckHere Fri 02-Jan-15 23:46:33

Have a look on Pinterest, it's full of really great tutorials on how to make pretty much anything!

A drawstring bag for PE maybe?

Don't worry about the quilting squares, you'll learn to make very, very good friends with your iron grin

LooksLikeImStuckHere Fri 02-Jan-15 23:47:50

Great drawstring bag tutorial

Allalonenow Fri 02-Jan-15 23:50:22

How about a simple gathered summer skirt for yourself, or perhaps a pair of cushion covers?

Blueboys2009 Sat 03-Jan-15 00:26:38

ooh.... I like the drawstring bags - thanks LooksLikeI'mStuckHere.

And I had seen some cushion covers too Allalonenow, and some good kiddie-type fabric/fat quarters, so they're both good ideas.

The problem now is I'll be full of ideas, and won't know where to start.

Thanks for all your help/ideas.

florentina1 Sat 03-Jan-15 08:16:19

There are loads of really easy tutorials, covering the basics right up to advanced techniques. Gourmet Quilter, Missouri quilts. Just google patchwork tutorials. And hundreds come up.

I googled patchwork and quilting books on Amazon. Then when it says used from; I looked further. One was a little bit worn, but another 1p won was almost new. I got another one for £2.20 which was new.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Sat 03-Jan-15 08:21:35

Yes Blue, my 'to sew' list just keeps getting longer... grin

lucysmam Sat 03-Jan-15 10:05:27

Thanks florentina, I'll have a look.

Blue, my to sew list is always growing since I started again! At least you'll always have something to do grin

Pikkewyn Sat 03-Jan-15 23:30:11

This was the first thing I ever made and is so simple, printable pattern on link too. I bought a couple of old funky 100% cotton duvet covers from the charity shop for £2 each and had a go. My girls love them and now, 6 months down the line, I can whizz one up in less than an hour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now