Talk

Advanced search

has anyone ever crocheted a rug?

(15 Posts)
whereisthewitch Fri 02-Jan-15 16:44:56

If so what yarn did you use? I'm really keen to make a lovely rug but don't really know what to do, did you put backing on it like hessian or something like that?

TIA

Lifesalemon Fri 02-Jan-15 16:54:15

I've seen some images of some rugs made from tshirt yarn that looked nice. Don't think they had a backing.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 02-Jan-15 21:19:18

My friend did with a giant hook and T-shirt yarn, it looked amazing, but she said it was a killer to make (made her hands ache like mad) and she'd never do it again.
I dont think she backed it.

Hirvi Sat 03-Jan-15 06:42:25

I made a mat from tshirt yarn, using an no.8 hook. It turned out really well. Quite thick so we use it as a bath mat. It was tough on my hands as it was heavy but keeping the stitches a little looser than normal made getting the hook in and out easier. I also took my time and let my hands have a break often.
I have a picture somewhere.

HarimadSol Sat 03-Jan-15 07:42:33

I have made rugs using old sheets torn or cut into 1 inch strips and knotted together. You can dye them whatever colour you want. It's a bit different to use as the strips don't stretch, but it makes a good, tough rug.

MrBisinbother Sat 03-Jan-15 12:35:06

This is a crochet rag rug I am working on . Torn up sheets and a 15 mm hook

ilovetosleep Sat 03-Jan-15 12:47:41

I'd really like to make a rug too but not keen on tshirt yarn, want something a bit woolier. I thought maybe using super bulky triple stranded or something?

Lifesalemon Sat 03-Jan-15 13:13:48

That rug looks gorgeous Mrbisinbother
Fab Big Yarn is quite nice to work with ilovetosleep and comes in some nice colours, I'm just using it single stranded to make a cushion but I'm now thinking 'matching rug' grin

Pinkandpurplehairedlady Sat 03-Jan-15 13:19:53

I crocheted a whole carpet for DD's room from parcel string dyed with kool-aid. It took me 6 months and then didn't survive potty trainingsad

Hirvi Sat 03-Jan-15 17:02:17

This is the one I made a year ago. We use it as a bath mat and it is holding up well.

whereisthewitch Sat 03-Jan-15 18:28:11

Wow some brilliant ideas here thankyou all!
mrbis pinkandpurple hirvi those are lovely!!

ilovetosleep that's exactly what I want, to use a super bulky yarn as opposed to a tshirt or rag yarn, I want it to be soft enough to set the baby on lol!

ibbydibby Sat 03-Jan-15 22:39:59

Hirvi, love your bath mat! What yarn did you use & do you have reference for the pattern?

Hirvi Sun 04-Jan-15 18:14:58

ibby I used jersey for it. The pattern is in Finnish, unfortunately, but if you wanted to try and get google to translate it, here's the patternlink

Malabrig0 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:19:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ibbydibby Mon 05-Jan-15 22:56:21

Thanks Hirvi!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now