Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a brand of sewing patterns for a novice

(8 Posts)
Sunflower6 Tue 30-Dec-14 22:19:22

I would like to have a go at making myself a simple skirt. I haven't sewn since I had my son 14 years ago and was a novice then.

Is there a particular brand of pattern that's better for a novice?

Can anyone recommend somewhere online that's good to buy fabric from?

Flossyfloof Wed 31-Dec-14 13:59:27

I would suggest Simplicity but I don't know much about patterns really. Sorry can't help with fabric. I wouldn't buy online personally as I like to feel stuff.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Wed 31-Dec-14 16:57:38

If you want a super easy pattern then look for something without zips or too many buttons. Kwik sew patterns are usually very easy and some of burda easy patterns are easy (but not all of them). Things like wrap skirts and capes are very easy to make and have very few pieces to put together.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Wed 31-Dec-14 16:59:05

Minerva crafts is decent for fabric or abakhans (both have shops or online). I am like the PP and prefer to buy fabric in shops so I can feel it and see the colours properly but I have bought some online as well.

EATmum Wed 31-Dec-14 20:53:29

I have recently been given a Tilly and the Buttons pattern - and her book. The instructions are very clear and well explained. I'd definitely recommend.

lavendersun Wed 31-Dec-14 21:02:40

Most pattern books have an 'easy' section. I bought a simplicity pattern last week and I think their easy section was called 'so easy'. Vogue have 'very easy very vogue' (or used to have).

Can you get to a shop, if not type 'easy' in the search box on this site and it will give you an idea.

www.simplicity.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=easy&x=0&y=0&pagesize=99999999

JenniMoo Wed 31-Dec-14 21:05:58

You might find a tutorial easier than a pattern. I successfully made a skater style skirt with a pattern / tutorial from pattern emporium. It has step by step instructions with photos.

Thumbcat Fri 02-Jan-15 22:30:19

Tilly and the Buttons or Colette patterns are both good for beginners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now