Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a tapestry frame?

(6 Posts)
lavendersun Mon 29-Dec-14 18:57:16

I haven't used one before, only hoops. My fabric is 8 x 11.5. I have seen the clip type frames. Not sure what size to buy - how much bigger than my fabric can I go?

RobinHumphries Wed 31-Dec-14 19:01:39

I love the millenium frames by needleneeds. They are so easy to set up and get the fabric so taut.
I have always used frames not hoops and started on a typical rotating frame but found they take some setting up - having to sew the fabric on and I also found the tension of the fabric would go even though all the wing nuts were still tight.
I then progressed onto the freedom frame by cleopatras needle ( a cheaper knock off of the millenium frame) but found the size of frames I was using a bit cumbersome so looked at floor stands to hold the frame. After using a cheap floor stand that was rubbish I discovered needleneeds and haven't looked back.

lavendersun Wed 31-Dec-14 20:48:17

Thank you, they look lovely but as this is my first tapestry project I don't really want to spend £70 in case I don't want to do another one (am jack of all crafts here and certainly master of none!).

Can you give me any tips on how you size the frame for your work. I have googled which seems to indicate a 4" bigger frame on both width and length which I will go for otherwise.

Thanks again.

Piffyonarockbun Thu 01-Jan-15 02:30:22

i use the clip frames and really like them. i get the cheap ones off ebay grin .

if you are in the north east you are welcome to try a few of mine for size. i have quite a few different ones. (mainly because i just used to get what seemed the closest fit and improvise). i have done some quite large and intricate works on cheap frames though and the frames are always fine and work well.

as they clip you can readjust the fabric whenever you like so the measurements dont have to be perfect. i would check the size of your design and how much extra fabric you have round the edge. the clip frames can be used so they only take an inch of fabric from the top or bottom or you can clip more if you have excess fabric.

sorry if im not making much sense. i know what i am trying to say but it is very late grin

lavendersun Thu 01-Jan-15 09:14:33

Thanks Piffy, that is v kind but am not in NE (wished I was as I grew up in Yorkshire).

Makes perfect sense thank you - I will try a clip frame. Presume that this one would be ok:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MGW142?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I would love a needle needs frame, I have a think about nice wooden things that I can leave out rather than thinking I have to put them away.

I have foolishly ordered one of each to see what I think. I know what I will think, I will like the £70 one.

lavendersun Sat 03-Jan-15 12:01:12

Well, the easy clip frame has arrived and it is really nice, nice quality, nice finish and £10.19 plus postage.

I can't imagine that the needle needs one, although lovely is worth 6 x the price but I will see.

Very pleasantly surprised. British made too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now