Talk

Advanced search

Sewing hamper gift

(8 Posts)
Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 29-Dec-14 07:49:02

Just wanted to share with all you lovely crafters my wonderful and thoughtful gift that I got from my dear mum for Christmas.
She bought me a large hamper basket and filled it with fabric, patterns, quality fabric scissors, pinking shears, pins, needles, pin cushions, quality thread and lots of other bits and pieces. It is the best present I have received in years from anybody.
So, if anybody knows a keen sewer or other crafter then I have to say that a Gift of this nature will go down extremely well.
I now have lots of sewing to do smile

rembrandtsrockchick Mon 29-Dec-14 07:53:01

What a brilliant present!

skylark2 Mon 29-Dec-14 10:20:18

Sounds like you got a fantastic present. I'd love something like that too. I had a big ball of sparkly yarn in my stocking and am having a lovely time deciding what to make with it.

However...I'd be wary of giving a present like this unless I was very sure it would go down well. I've seen way too many comments on Ravelry along the lines of people being given acrylic who won't touch non-natural fibres, basic knitting needles when they only use top brands, bulky yarn when they only knit lace, multiple single balls rather than sweater quantities of one thing...and basically the gift is sneered at and the comments are that they'd rather have had a gift voucher. Crafters can be very snobby about their materials and tools sad

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 29-Dec-14 13:37:16

I suppose I'm just not that fussy skaylark or maybe my mum just knows me really well because she only bought guttermann branded thread as she knows it is the only one that I use despite her using any brand herself. She also bought patterns which she knows I would like as she knows what sorts of clothes I wear. I suppose you do have to know somebody quite well in order to get a craft gift correct. I hadn't really thought about it like that before. Things like scissors, tracing paper, pins, bobbins, machine needles are pretty generic though (for me anyway).

Lifesalemon Mon 29-Dec-14 14:11:48

What a fab present! It sounds like so much thought went into it. I hope you have many happy hours putting it to use.
I got something similar from my partner for my birthday. He went to the local yarn shop and the lovely ladies their helped him choose a pattern book and found him the right yarns etc to make three of the projects in the book. He then enlisted the help of my aunt to wrap it all up in a large basket with cellophane and ribbons. It was such a thoughtful gift and really made my day.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 29-Dec-14 17:33:29

envy

I would have loved a personal gift like that. All I got were generic token gifts.

jerryfudd Mon 29-Dec-14 17:47:35

I did this for my sister for her birthday as I knew her husband was getting her a sewing machine so I thought doing a hamper woukd mean she got to use it straight away. She was over moon with it and I loved shopping for the stuff to fill it

EATmum Tue 30-Dec-14 20:11:39

That is such a kind gift. I got a lovely pattern and some beautiful material from my family this year and I've spent some lovely seeing hours in the days since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now