Talk

Advanced search

Sewing felt on a machine

(5 Posts)
Phantomquartz Sun 21-Dec-14 12:51:14

I'm trying to sew some felt christmas presents and I'm not having much success finding the right settings for my machine. I'm doing a straight stitch - but can't work out what settings would work best.

I've done lots of tests but can't seem to find the right stitch size etc. I think there are too many variables and I don't really know what I'm doing.

I know all machines are different, but is there a guide anywhere to what stitches work best?

Hoogally Sun 21-Dec-14 13:32:02

Ohhhh I'd never thought about sewing felt on a machine, I've always done if by hand, but bumping thread in case anyone more knowledgeable can help.

willotess Mon 22-Dec-14 01:03:37

You should be ok just using a regular straight stitch with the length set around 3.
But it depends what you are doing with the felt - just sewing two pieces together, then use the straight stitch as above. If appliqué-ing then use a zigzag to stitch it to the background.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 22-Dec-14 06:32:58

What is going wrong with your tests to make you think you've not got the settings right?

lavendersun Mon 22-Dec-14 06:58:25

My machine does a sort of slanted blanket stitch, no 11 on this picture if you can enlarge it enough to see it.

I made felt decorations this year and used that to sew them together when my daughter kept adding to the list of recipients and I ran out of time to hand stitch.

Have you got anything like that on your machine, otherwise I would probably just straight stitch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now